Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
NEW CHURCH is a village, five miles from New Romney, nine from Hythe, and nine
from Ashford railway station. The population in 1851 was 321. The church of St.
Peter and St. Paul is a large handsome building. The living is a rectory and
vicarage in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the Rev. Charles E. Plater
is the incumbent; Rev.
Thomas Harrison, M.A., curate. Gammons is one mile east. br />
POST-OFFICE. Miss Comfort, Post-mistress. Letters arrive from New Romney,
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Rev. Thomas Harrison, M.A., curate.
Baker, Thomas, farmer
Butler, Matthew and Thomas, farmers, Gammons Farm
Buss, Horace, farmer
Chittenderi, John, farmer
Comfort, Miss, national schoolmistress
Cozens, James, butcher
Edwards, William, bricklayer
Green, Frederick, farmer
Ovenden, George, Bull
Piddlesden, Stephen, shopkeeper, &c.
Paine, Fisher, blacksmith
Piddlesden, John, farmer
Green, Mr, miller
Stoakes, William, carpenter, &c.