Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
NEWENDEN is a village and parish, five miles and a half S.W. from Tenterden, and
five miles from Hawkhurst. The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and is a small
building. The living is a rectory; the Rev. John Peachel Francis, M.A., is the
incumbent. The population in 1851 was 172.
Lassingham is half a mile east; Arndent, three-quarters of a mile N.W.;
Eppingham, one mile and a half S.W.; Hexden, one mile and a half north.
Letters received through Staplehurst. The nearest Money Order Office is at
Ayerst, Samuel, Esq., Lassingham House.
Ayerst, Thomas, merchant
Barnes, Moses, carrier
Barnes, William, grocer
Dengate, James, farmer
Edwards, Newton, While Hart Inn
Hanson, William, farmer
Russell, John, carpenter