Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
NEWINGTON, next to Hythe, is a parish, two miles and a half N.E. from Hythe, three miles and a half N.W. from Folkstone, and 85 from London. The church of St. Michael is an old building. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Rev. J. Brockman. The population in 1851 was 499. Longford is half a mile east; Denton Pinch, half a mile N.E.; Pains, half a mile north; Beachborough, half a mile N.W., has a large park;
Frogwell, half a mile west; Harpinge, or Arpinge, one mile and a half N.E.; Bargrove, one mile and a half S.W.; Dibgate, one mile south.
POST-OFFICE - Edward Baker Dale, Receiver. Letters arrive from Hythe. The
nearest Money Order Offices are at Hythe and Folkestone.
Brockman, Tatton, Esq., Beachborough
Dodd, Mr. John, Bargrove
Waddington, Rev. Herbert, B.A., curate of Cheriton
Atkins, Elvey, blacksmith
Chaplin, Joseph, millwright
Dale, Edward Baker, tailor
Denne, John, farmer
Hambrook, George, farmer, Arpinge
Hobday, Henry, farmer, Arpinge
Hogben, John, farmer, Arpinge
Holden, Henry, carpenter
Marsh, Mrs. Sophia, grocer
Maycock, Charles, carpenter
Olden, Mr., carpenter
Poole, Francis, shoemaker
Rigden, Henry, farmer
Taylor, John, farmer
Wells, Charles, Star, and blacksmith