Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent
ORLESTON and HAM STREET - Ham Street is a parish and village, also a railway
station, on the Hastings branch railway, 20 miles from Canterbury,
three miles from Appledore, and six miles from Ashford. The church of Orleston
is about three quarters of a mile to the north.
The living is a rectory, in the patronage of Thomas Thornhill, Esq.; the Rev
Charles Rolfe, is the incumbent. The population in 1851 was 334.
Post Office - Henry Potter, Receiver, Ham street. Letters are received through
Ashford, Which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Henry Wigglegworth, M.D.
Barling, Henry, baker
Brooks, Edward, smith and farrier
Butler, Richard, Butcher
Butler, Thomas, butcher
Cats, Robert, carrier to Dover
Killick, George, grocer and draper
Kingsnorth, Edward, farmer
Knight, Henry, carrier to Ashford and Wye
Lorden, George, bricklayer
Lorden, John, plumber and glazier
Maylam, William, farmer and grazier
Pain, George, shoemaker
Pope, Mrs. Frances, boot and shoe maker
Potter, Henry, baker and post master
Thurston, Robert, shopkeeper
Thurston, William, builder and brickmaker
Thurston, John, timber merchant
Tickner, Thomas, grazier
Wanstall, Thomas, Duke's Head
Whitehead, William, wheelwright
Woolley, John, saddle and harness maker