Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
OTFORD is a village and parish on the Darent, three miles north of Sevenoaks.
The population in 1851 Was 837. The church was burnt down in 1687, but has since
been rebuilt. It contains many handsome monuments. The living is a perpetual
curacy. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans.
DUNTON GREEN is an extensive village, about one mile and a half S.W.
POST-OFFICE. - Charles Troughton, Postmaster Letters arrive through Sevenoaks.
The nearest Money Order Office is at Wrotham.
Bowyer, Mr. John
Selby, Miss Catharine Coleman
Tritton, Rev. Robert Briscoe, M.A.
Wreford, Mrs., Broughton House
Public Houses in Otford
Barham, George shopkeeper
Bromley, Michael, baker
Brown, Reuben, blacksmith
Cassam, Edward, farmer
Collier, William, boot and shoe maker
Coqke, Thomas, miller
Day, Daniel, Bull Inn
Dray, Michael, farmer
Jessup, Peter, Woodman
Jessup, William, wheelwright
Latter, Leonard, hop planter
Nash, Edward, farmer, etc
Nash, Robert, farmer
Norman, Mrs., brickmaker
Pawley, Benjamin, farmer
Pine, John, farmer
Pulley, James, boot and shoe maker
Pryer, Master David, relieving officer
Richards, Robert, surgeon
Russell, Richard, farmer
Troughton, Charles, grocer and post-office