Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Pembury
PEMBURY, with LOWER GREEN.
Pembury is a village, five miles S.W. from Tunbridge. The church is
dedicated to St. Peter, and appears to be of great antiquity; it stands about
one mile and a half from the village. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage
and incumbency of the
Rev. George Stephen Woodgate, M.A. Here is the Tunbridge Union workhouse; and at
the end of the village is a row of neat almshouses for six old persons, the gift
of Charles Amherst, Esq., of Bayhall.
POST-OFFICE. - George Edward Neal, Receiver. Letters arrive from Tunbridge.