Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Penshurst
PENSHURST is a neat village and parish, near a station of the South-Eastern
railway, six miles and a half N.W. of Tunbridge Wells, and five miles and a half
S.W. from Tunbridge. The population in 1851 was 1,628. The church of St. John
the Baptist is a well built structure. The living is a rectory, in the patronage
of Lord de L'Isle and Dudley, and incumbency of the Rev. William Green, M.A.;
the Rev. G. M. Smith, M.A., curate. A small neat chapel of ease was built in
1847, in the early English style of architecture, at Fordcoombe Green, a small
hamlet, about two miles from the village; the Rev. William Trevenen, M.A., is
POST-OFFICE. _ Francis Arnold, Receiver. Letters arrive from Tunbridge, which is
also the nearest Money Order Office.
Allnutt, Mrs., the Grove
Bailer, Richard, Esq.
Boissier, Rev. George R., M.A.
Cattley, John George, Esq.
De L'Isle and Dudley, Right Hon. Lord, Penshurst Castle
Green, Rey. William, M.A., Rector
Hardinge, Right Hon. Viscount, South Park
Nasmyth, James, Esq., Culver hill
Streatfleld, Mrs. Charlotte
Taylor, Mr. William
Trevenen, Rev. William
Smith, Rev. G. M., M.A., Curate
Wells, William, Esq.
Wickham, Mrs. Harriet, New House
Woodgate, William, Esq.
Yates, William, Esq.