Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
PETHAM is a parish and village in the lower half hundred, lathe of St.
Augustine, union of Bridge, East Kent, five miles from Canterbury. The
church is large, consisting of two aisles and one chancel. The living is a
vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury and Sir Courtenay
Honeywood, Bart. The Rev James Hughes Hallet, MA., is the vicar.
The population in 1851 was 630. Kenfield is one mile north; Wooton half
a mile N.W.; Broadway Green quarter of a mile south; Dane one mile
S.E.; Capel Bottom one mile west. Bockholt is a farm.
POST OFFICE - John Champion, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office is at Wye.
Foss, Edward, Esq.
Hallett, Rev. James Hugh, M. A., Vicarage
Hammond, Charles, Esq.
Mackay, Thomas Henry, Petham House
Taylor, Thomas, Esq.
Thompson, Richard Edward, Esq., Upper Henfield
Wilkinson, Rev. J., B.A., curate
Public Houses in Petham
Castle, Thomas, farmer
Champion, John, shoemaker & post-office
Chilton, Edward, carrier
Christian, William, wood-dealer
Colton, Thomas, wood-dealer
Daniels, William, blacksmith
Dilnot, Richard, grocer, farmer, and weaver
Dowsett, Charles Finch, farmer, Dane Farm
Friend, James, Chequers
Gamhrill, Thomas, miller and farmer
Gibbs, William, butcher
Goldfinch, John, baker
Hutchinson, Robert, farmer
Jones, Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer
Knight, Henry, farmer
Neame, John, wood-dealer
Pilcher, John, farmer
Selling, George, farmer
Slater, Frederick, farmer, Lower Kenfield
Smeed, James, farmer
Webb, Jane, Duke's Head
Williams, George, carpenter and wheelwright
Woollett, Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer