Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
PLUCKLEY and PEVINGTON. - Pluckley is a village and railway station, 19 miles from Canterbury, and -six miles east from Ashford. The population in 1851 was 798.
The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and is handsome building. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the Rev. Ashton Oxenden, B.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Alfred Joseph Woodhouse the curate.
Pevington is a parish one mile north, but united with Pluckley. The church is in ruins.
Nettlestead is half a mile N.W.; Giles' House, one mila and a half west; Parsonage Green, half a mile south; Oven's Green, one ile S.W.; Maelmain's Hill and Helgerden, two miles S.W.; Surrenden, one mile east; Dawell Street, one mile and a half S.E.; Millpot Hill, one mile S.E.; Chamber's Green, one mile and a half south.
POST-OFFICE. - John Nave, Postmaster. Letters are received through Maidstone.
The nearest Money Order Offices are at Charing and Ashford. br />
Bering, Sir Edward, Bart, M.P., Surrenden Dering
Oxenden, Rev. Ashton, B.A.
Woodhouse, Rev. Alfred Joseph br />
Bacon, James, land steward
Baker, Thomas, tailor
Bourn, Ephraim, shopkeeper
Brooker, Thomas, butcher
Butler, Thomas, cooper
Chambers, George, farmer
Coveny, Baniel, farmer
Fitch, Napeker, farmer
Hughes, William, Dering Arms and Posting House, Railway station
Maylam, Edward, farmer
Maylam, William, farmer, Pevington
Moon, George, farmer, Luckhurst Farm
Munk, John, farmer, Dowell Street
Nave, John, draper and grocer, and postmaster
Ottaway, Thomas, carpenter, etc.
Palmer, John, hoot and shoe maker
Prickler, Sobert, station master
Spicer, Jesse, farmer, Bowell Street
Smith, Nathaniel blacksmith
Stevens, George, farmer, New House
Swaffer, John, blacksmith and beer retailer
Turk, Thomas, farmer
Weeks, Edward, baker
Wilcock, Thomas, blacksmith
Wrigh, John, farmer, Elvey Farm