Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
POSTLING is a small parish at the foot of the Chalk Hills, four miles N.W. from
Hythe, seven from Folkestone, two N.W. from Westenhanger station, in the hundred
of Loningborough and Elham union, East Kent. The church of St. Mary is small and
ancient. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of
Canterbury. The incumbent is the Rev. John Winter, M.A. The population in 1851
was 175. Tolsford Hill, half a mile east; the Pent, one quarter of a mile N.W.;
Surridge, half a mile S.W.
Letters received at Hythe, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Winter, Rev. John, M.A.
Bradley, John, farmer
Bradley, John, jun., farmer
Chaplin, Edward, jun., cattle dealer
Chaplin, Francis, farmer
Chaplin, Thomas, farmer
Gammon, Richard, shopkeeper
Kennett, Joseph, farmer
Kennett, Richard, wheelwright
Laker, William, farmer
Maycock, Edward, farmer
Quested, Thomas, farmer
Webb, John, parish clerk