Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
PRESTON is a parish on the high road from Grove Ferry to Wingham, six and a half
miles N.W. of Sandwich, and nine N.E. of Canterbury. The population in 1851 was
542. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The living is a vicarage in the
patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. The village, called Preston
Street, is not large, and the church stands about a quarter of a mile to the
west. Nash is half a mile south.
POST-OFFICE -Ralph Solley, Receiver. Letters received through Wingham, which is
also the nearest Money Order Office.
Curtis, E., Esq. br />
Jenner, Rev. Henry L., M.A.
Toomer, Samuel E., Esq.