Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Kingsdown & Ringwould, Deal
Ringwold is a village, three miles S.W. from Deal, and six miles north from
Dover. The population in 1851 was 789. The church of St. Nicholas is a handsome
building. The living is a rectory ; the Rev. C. V. H. Sumner, B.A., is the
incumbent, who is also rural dean of the deanery of Sandwich. Oxney Park is one
mile south; Oxney is a parish, with 26 inhabitants, but no church. Kingsdown is
a hamlet of Ringwold, one mile and a half from Walmer, and two miles and a half
from Deal. The population in 1851 was 385. The church is dedicated to St. John
the Evangelist, and endowed by William
Curling, Esq.; the Rev. Robert Charlton, M.A., is the incumbent. East Bottom is
half a mile south.
POST-OFFICE - William Culver, Receiver. letters are received through Dover.
The nearest Money Order Offices are at Deal and Dover.
Gilbee, Mr. John
Jennings, Robert innis, East Bottom
Monins, John, Esq.
Sumner, Rev. C. V. H., B.A., Rectory
Bailey, George, farmer
Bassingham, Mrs. Ann, Five Bells
Bing, John, blacksmith
Broadley, William, farmer
Burling, Henry, bootmaker
Culver, William, grocer and post-master
Gardener, James, farmer
Kirkman, Mr., national schoolmaster
Maxted, Henry, wheelwright
Parker, George, farmer
Parker, John, farmer
Redman, Richard, beer retailer
Rogers, Edward, farmer
Taylor, John, Lord Nelson
Tucker, Thomas, farmer
Rev. Robert Charlton, M.A.
Arnold, Richard, Rising Sun
Bingham, Thomas, coal merchant
Pattison, Leonard, farmer
Pettick, Richard, farmer
Sutton, Stephen, King's Head
Turner, Joseph, grocer