Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
RIVER is a very pretty village on the Dour river. The population in
1851 was 487. Here are paper and corn mills, The church is dedicated
to St. Peter. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop
of Canterbury. The Rev. Edward Boys, M.A., is the vicar. Chilton, Wolverton,
Bushey, Rough Mill, and Kearsney Court,'are adjoining places.
POST-OFFICE. - Edward Halladay, Receiver. Letters received through Dover, which
also the nearest Money Order Office.
Boys, Rev. Edward, Vicar | Collingwood, Felix, Esq.
Barter, James, millwright
Barter, Timothy, millwright
Cross, William, clerk of the Dover Union
Dowding, Mrs. Fanny, schoolmistress
Fritton, Henry, baker
Gould, George, clerk
Halladay, Edwatd, beer retailer and postmaster
Jenkins, Thomas, cowkeeper
Kentfield, Mrs. Frances, grocer
Knott, John, Dublin Man of "War
Langley, Charles, watchmaker, Crabble House
Langley, George, market gardener
Pain, Mrs. Elizabeth, lodging house keeper
Pain, John, baker and grocer
Pain, John, bricklayer and beer retailer
Phipps, Christopher, paper maker
Pilcher, Edward, miller and farmer
Revell, William, farmer
Thorpe, John C., miller
Tritton, Robert, baker
Weston, Jasper, L.R.C.P. academy, Hofwy College
Weston, Mrs, Maria, L.R.C.P, seminary, Hofwy College