Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
SALTWOOD is a village half a mile north of Hythe, and two miles and a half S.E. of Westenhanger station. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The living is a rectory in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Rev. Maynard Currie is the curate. The population in 1851 was 609.
In the neighbourhood are Sandling Park, the property of William Dedes, Esq., and Westenhanger. Pedling Green, or Peedling is one mile west; Hillhurst and Brockhill are in the neighbourhood.
POST-OFFICE - William Aoomb, Receiver. The nearest Money Order Office is at Hythe.
Currie, Rev. Maynard, curate
Currie, Rakes, Esq., Sandling Park
Croft, Ven. Archdeacon James, rector
Deeds, Major George, Hilhurst Farm
Tournay, Miss, Brockhill House
Acomb, William, parish clerk
Broadley, Edward, farmer, Castle Farm
Buck, H., blacksmith
Court, George, farmer, Stone Farm
Epps, James, farmer, Grange Farm
Friend, John, carpenter and wheelwright
Friend, William, farmer
Hammond, John, farmer
Holdom, Henry, carpenter & wheelwright
Mount, Thomas, farmer, Peedlinge
Oldfleld, William, shopkeeper
Payn, John, beer retailer
Sutton, Samuel, farmer, Peedlinge
Thompson, Robert, land agent and farmer