Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
SANDGATE is a town partly in Cheriton and partly in Folkstone parishes and Elham
Union; one mile and a hall west from Folkstone. It is situated at the foot of an
extensive range of hills facing the French coast, of which it commands a clear
extensive view. A district church has been rebuilt by subscription, on the site
of a chapel which formerly stood here. It as a perpetual curacy in the
incumbency of the Rev. John Brownlow M.A. Here is also a neat Wesleyan chapel,
and a Dispensary for the relief of the poor.
POST-OFFICE - Mrs. Sarah Purdy, Postmistress. Letters arrive from Folkstone.
Money Orders are granted and paid at this office.
Public Dispensary - Messrs. Tenner and Co., Dispensers.
Assembly Booms - G. Briokman, Proprietor.
Library and Beading Rooms - George Francis, Secretary
National Schools - William Glanfield, Master j Lydia Glanfield, Mistress.
Infant School - Miss Martha Dant.
Wesleyan Chapel - Ministers various.
Ayres, Mr. Henry, Spring House
Bligh, Sir John Duncan, Inbrook House
Brockman, Ralph Thomas, Esq.
Brownlow, Bev. John,, incumbent
Clarke, Edward, Esq.
Cooper, Miss Charlotte
Donnelly, William, Esq., M.D., Seabrook House
Foster, James, Esq.
Gidley, Gustavus, Esq;
Graves, Mr. Richard, Clifton place
Hagarman, Mrs., Farleigh House
Hardinge, Colonel, Radnor Cliff
Kirby, Mr. Samuel, Victoria terrace
Lonsdale, John James, Esq., Recorder of Folkstone
Love, General Sir Frederick
Mahe, Rev. J. J., Roman Catholic Priest
Morris, James, Esq., Encombe
Papillon, Miss, Cliff House
Parker, Rev. E. G., Chaplain to the Army
Phillips, Mrs., Clifton place
Shooter, John Allen, Esq., Burn HouseStrangeways, Mrs.
Tyssen, F. S. D., Esq.
Waddell, Mr. William
Wilson, John, Esq., Clifton place
Public Houses in Sandgate
The 1858 Melvilles Directory traders are on the