Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
SELLINDGE is a parish two miles east of Smeeth station, five miles and a half
N.W. from Hythe, and six miles and a half from Ashford, in Street hundred, Elham
union, and lathe of Shepway, East Kent. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The
living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor; the Rev. James W.
Bellamy, B.D., is the incumbent. The population in 1851 was 550. Herringe is one
mile south; Grove Bridge, one mile S.E.; Summerfield, half a mile S.E.; Stone
Hill, three quarters of a mile N.W.; Hoddiford, quarter of a mile north ; Horton
Priory, one mile N.E.; Thumb Hill, one mile and a half N.E.; Gibbons Brook, one
mile and a half west.
POSTOFFICE - Robert Hilton, Reeeiver. The nearest Money Order Offices are at
Hythe and Ashford.
Bellamy, Rev. James W., B.D., Vicarage
Braim, Mr. James, Rook Cottage
Burch, Mr., Stone hill
Court, George, Esq., Acorn Hall
Smith, Mr. Edward