Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
SHADOXHURST is a village, four miles and a half S.W. from Ashford station. The
church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The living is a rectory, in the
patronage of the Crown; the Rev. C. Rolfe, M.A., incumbent. The population in
1851 was 186. Blind Grooms and Snailwood, one mile N.E.; Cryall, half a mile
north ; Fright's Bridge, half a mile S.W.; Coleham Green, one mile S.W.; Cable
Hook, one mile and a half, N.W.;
Lakenden, one mile west; Great and Little Ingham, one mile and a half west;
Bromley Green, one mile and a half S.E.
Letters received through Ashford, which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Rolfe, Rev. Charles, B.A., Curate.
Backengham, Francis, farmer
Bingham, George, blacksmith
Brown, John, farmer
Collins, William, farmer
Ditton, Robert, carpenter
Goodwin, Henry, farmer
Hopper, Edward, farmer
Howland, Richard, farmer
Ifield, John, shoemaker
Lee, James, shopkeeper
Vile, Henry, King's Head
Woodgate, George, farmer
Woodgate, James, shopkeeper
Woodgate, John, farmer