Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Sheerness
Traders in 1858 Melvilles Directory by surname
A to J ; K to Y
SHEPPEY, ELMLEY, and the ISLE OF HARTY (the two latter lying on the south, near
the Swale, but considered as one island), 11 miles long from east to west, and
in breadth four miles from north to south. The Isle of Harty is in Faversham
hundred, and all in the lathe of Scray. The population in 1851 was 13,385. There
are three ferries; two for foot passengers, and one (King's ferry) free for
travellers and horses,
but a charge is made for carriages. Sheerness is situated on the N.W. of the
island, two miles west of Queenborough, and is a seaport town. The population in
1851 was 8758. It is in Minster parish. The town consists of Sheerness, Blue
Town, and Mile
Town. There are many new buildings springing up, which form a separate district,
called Ward's Town. Sheerness is a second-class establishment, and a large fleet
generally lies here. The wharf fronts the Medway, and the dockyard is surrounded
by a brick wall, and has first-rate docks, a basin having 26 feet depth of
water, two smaller basins, storehouses, victualling storehouses, mast house,
rigging house, sail loft, smithies, and a navy pay-office. Here are residences
for the Port Admiral, Captaon Superintendant, etc, and the barracks, with the
new ones built, and a church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, at Mile Town; also
dissenting meeting-houses, and a school for boys and girls on the national
system; here is also a mechanics' institute and reading room.
The County Court is held in Blue Town. The town is well lighted with gas.
Besides the dockyard business, here is considerable trade in oyster fishing,
supplying shipping, and the corn and seed trade.
POST-OFFICE. - Robert M. Bigg, Postmaster. Money Orders are granted and paid at
this Office. Letters are received through Sittingbourne.