Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
THE CRAYS are four respectable villages and parishes, contiguous to each other,
in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, Ruxley hundred, and Bromley union, West Kent.
The most important of the four villages is St. Mary Cray, with a population, in
1851, of 1,400. Next is Foot's Cray, which was formerly called Fore's Cray. It
lies on the direct road from London to Maidstone, and is five miles from
Bromley; the population of which, in 1851, was 369, and of North Cray, 570, and
St. Paul's Cray, 554. Each of
these villages has its parish church; they are in the diocese of Canterbury.
ST. PAUL'S CRAY.
Chapman, James, Esq.
Paterson, Richard, Esq.
Roberts, Rev. Edward, Rector
Public Houses in St Pauls Cray
Brooker, Pitman, farmer
Cripps, Mrs. Sarah, beer retailer
Dobinson, Joseph, beer retailer
Dobinson, Stephen, Bull's Head
Everest, Edward, farmer
Fulcher, Frederick B., surgeon
Hearn, Henry, farmer
May, John, farmer
Mead, Thomas, Anchor
Nash, Thomas and William, paper manufacturers
Slade, William, tailor and parish clerk