Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Staplehurst pub history index
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
STAPLEHURST is a railway station and village, five miles north from Cranbrook,
17 miles from Maidstone, and 28 from Canterbury. The population in 1851 was
1,660. The church is an ancient edifice, and stands on rising ground. The living
is a rectory, in the presentation of St. John's College, Cambridge, The Rev.
Thomas Crick is the incumbent. Here is also an Independent chapel. Spill's Hill
is half a mile east; Yeakshurst, three quarters of a mile east; Broadlake, one
mile and a half S.E.; Cuckold's Corner, a quarter of a mile north; Aydhurst,
half a mile N.W.,; Great and Little Pagehurst, and Five Ashes, one mile west;
Henhurst, half a mile S.W.; Fullers, half a mile south; St. Dennis, one mile
S..W.; Iden Green, three quarters of a mile south; Lovehurst, one mile and a
half S.W.; Matterass Green, one mile and three quarters S.W.; Nock's Bridge, one
mile and a quarter south; Maplehurst, one mile S.E.; Chickenden and Bailey
House, one mile and a half N.E.; Stamey House, one mile N.E; Hern's Lodge, one
mile N.E.; Hockenbury, one mile and a half N.E; Newstead, one mile and a half
N.E.; Cushman's Green, and Swithland's Corner, one mile and a half north; Cross
in Hand and Hersfield Bridges, two miles north; Duckhurst, one mile north; St
Ann's Green, one mile and ha;f N.W.
POST-OFFICE. - John Vidler Hickmott, Receiver. Money Orders are granted and paid
at this Office.
Crick, Rev.Thomas, M.A., Rector
Hoare, Henry, Esq., Staplehurst place
Jackson, Lieutenant Robert Amelius, R.N.
Ottaway, William Nash, Esq.
Penkivil, John, Esq.,