Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
STELLING is a parish on the east side of the Stone Street Way. Stelling is seven
miles south from Canterbury. The church of St. Mary is capacious; the living is
a perpetual curacy annexed to Upper Hardres, enjoyed by the Rev. E. Sandys
Lumsdaine, M.A. The population, in 1851, was 333.
Southwick is one mile and a half S.E., Farthing Sole two miles S.E.
Letters received through Canterbury. The nearest Money Order Office is at Wye.
Public Houses in Stelling
Bartlett, John, millet
Bartlett, Thomas, farmer
Beleey, Bromley, farmer
Cloak, John, shopkeeper
Culver, John, miller and shopkeeper
Daniels, Thomas, blacksmith
Edbury, Henry, yeoman
Fearn, John, Penny Pot
File, Stephen, farmer
Knight, Thomas, farmer
Seath, James, shopkeeper
Smith, Thomas, carrier
Stupples, Henry, Rose and Crown
Stupples, John, farmer
Sutton, Mrs. Mary, fawner
Wood, John, sen., farmer
Wood, Marsh, farmer
Wood, William, farmer
Woollett, Norwood, farmer