Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Stoke, Hoo
STOKE is a parish, eight miles N.E. of Rochester, and thirteen miles east of
Gravesend. The population in 1851 was 522. The church is dedicated to St John
the Baptist. The living is a vicarage; the Rev. A. E.O. Harris, M.A., is the
incumbent. Here are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists.
POST-OFFICE. - Edward Miskin, Receiver. Letters are received through Rochester,
which is also the nearest Money Order Office.
Harris, Rev. A. E. O., M.A., Vicar.
Allen, Richard, miller
Bell, George William, shopkeeper
Buxton, Richard R., baker
Bucksey, Joseph, Ship
Chapman, Charles, farmer
Collins, Mrs. Frances, Nag's Head
Colman, George, shoemaker
Comport, Mr. M. A., farmer
Edwards, William, shopkeeper and buss proprietor
Everist, James, farmer
Jeal, Thomas, wheelwright
Meers, William S., farmer
Miskin, Edward, butcher
Miskin, Richard, blacksmith
Sharp, James, wheelwright
Williams, John, boot and shoe maker