Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
STONE, near Dartford, is a village and parish, 17 miles from London, one mile
S.E. from Greenhithe station, and two miles N.E. from Dartford. The church of
St. Mary is a fine and well built edifice. The living is a rectory, in the
patronage of the Bishop of Rochester. The Venerable Archdeacon King, rector; the
Rev. Walter King, curate. The population in 1851 was 829.
POST-OFFICE. - William Hughes, Receiver. Letters arrive from Dartford.
The nearest Money Order Offices are at Dartford and Northfleet.
Chatwin, George, Esq.
Cooper, Thomas, Esq.
Felton, Frederick, Esq.
Kiddell, John Dawson, Esq.
King, Ven. Archdeacon H., Incumbent
King, Rev. Walter, Curate
Metcalf, John, Esq.
Sedger, John Small, Esq.
Walter, John, Esq.
White, Charles, Esq.
Public Houses in Stone by Dartford
Allen, William, farmer
Bagneill, William, farmer
Baker, Isaac, farmer
Bartholomew, John, fruiterer
Bates, Henry, market gardener
Bennett, John, Welsh Tavern
Cooper, _, beer retailer
Gibson, William, beer retailer
Harris, Joseph, Bull Inn
Hughes, William, draper and post-office
Jarvis, John, beer retailer
Moss, William, grocer and draper
Muggeridge, Thomas, farmer
Nettleingham, Thomas, parish clerk
Parkhurst, Thomas, farmer
Roderick, Mr., farmer
Skinner, Messrs., and Co., farmers, etc.
Solomon, Jeremiah, farmer, etc.
Tonge, John, farmer
Treadwell, John, farmer etc
Walter, Baldwin, farmer
Webb, George, blacksmith
Williams, Charles, farmer