Kent Villages, Towns & Public Houses - History, Genealogy & Trade Directories
Kent Villages Home Page | Kent Districts & Kent Lathes |Kent Villages and Towns A - Z
Melvilles 1858 Directory of Kent.
Public Houses in Sundridge
SUNDRIDGE is a village and parish, Four miles west-by-north, from Sevenoaks, and
two miles and a half east from Westerham. The population in 1851 was 1,642.
Sundridge is in the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the diocess of Rochester, a
peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and within the Deanery of Shoreham.
The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury; the Rev.
Henry Lindsay, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Augustus Cornwall is curate.
POST-OFFICE. - Joseph Watts, Postmaster. Letters are received through Sevenoaks.
IDE HILL is a hamlet of this parish, two miles south. :
POST-OFFICE. Letters arrive from Edenbridge at 7 a.m., by messenger; depart .at
minutes past 8 a.m. Second post arrives at 3 p.m. ; departs at 6.30 a.m. Letters
arrive at Ide Hill from Sundridge, by messenger, at 8 p.m.; depart at 5 a.m. The
nearest Money Order Offices are at Sevenoaks and Westerham.
Brown, Mrs. Esther
Brown, Mrs. Jane Isabella
Clayton, the Rev. Augustus Philip
Cornwall, the Rev. Augustus Kingseote, Curate
Coleman, Mrs. Mary
Collier, Miss Sarah
Gow, George, Esq., Oak Lodge
Hill, Samuel Charles, Esq., Wood Side House
Lindsay, the Rev., M. A., Rector, the Rectory
Polhill, Charles, Esq., Combe Bank Villa
Swift, Mr. Ephraim, Prospect House
Whitmore, Robert, Esq., Bishop's Cottage
Wimberley, Rev. Charles, Ovenden House, chaplain to the union
Wheeler, Mrs. Clara