Pub history and pub wiki

Little Warley 1848 Whites Directory

History of Little Warley

Warley (Little), a small parish of scattered houses, 3 miles S by E of Brentwood, contains 216 inhabitants, and 165 A 1R 32P of land, including 140 acres of open common and 20 A of roads. In the reign of George III, a large army was encamped here, and in the parish are  Warley barracks, built by Government, about 1805, for 2000 cavalry; but after being long unoccupied, they were purchased in 1842 by the east India Company, at the cost of 17,000, together with 120 A of the common. From this Depot they send annually about 1000 young men to India. On the common the Company have built 40 cottages for the use of married soldiers. Near the barracks, the Essex magistrates purchased in March, 1848, at the cost of 8,000, about 80 A of land, on which they are about to erect a large County Lunatic Asylum. Lord Headley is lord of the manor, which belonged to the Bishops of London from the time of the Conquest till 1327. it was afterwards held by the Burnell, tyrell, Bennett, and other families. Lord Petre, the heirs of T Cawkwell, and a few smaller freeholders have estates here. The Hall, an ancient brick building, is occupied by a farmer. It is in the early Tudor style, and has a richly ornamented gable and projecting chimney. Warley Lodge, is a modern mansion, belonging to Lord Headley, and occupied by F Scully Esq. it stands on a commanding eminence, and has some finely wooded pleasure grounds. The Church (St Peter), is a small antique structure, except the tower, which was rebuilt in 1718. the rectory, valued in K B, at 11 3s 9d, and in 1831 at 263 was in the gift of the Tyrell family from 1382 till a few years ago, but is now in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev John Pearson MA, of East Horndon. The Rectory House is a small lath and plaster building, and the glebe is 37A 3R 27P. The tithes were commuted in 1837 for 287 10s per annum. In 1693, Hugh Chappington left a house and 16A of land here to his nephew and the heirs of his body, or in default of such issue (which happened in 1706) to the poor parishioners. The house is in four tenements, occupied by poor families, and the land is let for 17, which is applied in distributions of coals.

Bennett Wm, miller and baker

Deeks Wm, blacksmith & parish clerk

Boyman Wm, victualler, Canteen, Barracks

Hammond John, victualler, Greyhound

Hay Colonel & Captain, Barracks

Laurence Rev Frederick john Ross, BA, curate, Rectory

Leslie Lieut-Colonel, Barracks

Scully F esq, Warley Lodge (and London)

 

Farmers

Bennett Wm

Alexander John

Knightsbridge Chas

Fry John G

Parson John, Warley hall

Seabrook John (owner), Common

Tanner William junior

Post Office at Great Warley

 

Search for a pub, an address or person

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 19:30:03 BST