Pub history and pub wiki

Little Warley 1855 Post Office Directory

History of Little Warley

 

Little Warley, a parish and village, about 1 mile from Great Warley, is seated on an eminence, with a commanding prospect. It is in the Hundred of Chafford and Billericay Union, 3 miles south of Brentwood, 7 east of Romford, and 6 south west from Billericay. The area of the parish is 1,651 acres, and the population , in 1851, was 344 (exclusive of the military in the barracks). Before the Norman accession, it belonged to the cathedral of St Paul. The church dedicated to St Peter, is a plain building, and stands at a considerable distance from the village. In the parish are a few charities. The living is a rectory, value 250, in the patronage of the Rev John Pearson. Here are barracks for cavalry, now the depot of the east India Company, and at which recruits are trained, and some hundreds are drafted off to India annually.

Gentry

Gonne Charles esq

Hay Col Edward, Warley Barracks

Hay Maj Wm Falconer, Warley Barracks

Jackson Alexander Ross, MD, Warley Barracks

Leslie Lieut-Col John Thomas CB, Warley Barracks

Stevens Major Stephen James, CB, Warley Barracks

 

Traders

Alexander Charles, farmer

Bennett William, farmer

Bennett William, miller, Little Warley Mill

Deeks William, blacksmith

Jones Owen, farmer

Knightsbridge Charles, farmer

Parson John, farmer

Seabrook Edward, Greyhound inn

Seabrook Sarah (Mrs), farmer

Tanner William, farmer

Woods Daniel, farmer

 

Letters through Great Warley, via Brentwood. The nearest money order office is at Brentwood

Barracks Colonel, Edward Hay; Lieut-Colonel, John Thomas Leslie, CB; Majors, William Falconer Hay & Stephen James Stevens, CB; physician, Alexander Ross Jackson, MD

Search for a pub, an address or person

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 19:30:03 BST