Pub history and pub wiki

Little Warley 1886 Kellys Directory

History of Little Warley

Little Warley is a parish and village about 1 mile east from great Warley, seated on an eminence with a commanding prospect,  in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Chafford, Billericay union, Brentwood petty sessional division and county court district, Barstable rural deanery, Essex archdeaconry and St Albans diocese. Before the Norman accession it belonged to the cathedral of St Paul. The London, Tilbury and Southend Railway Companys new line from Barking to Pitsea passes through the parish. The church of St Peter, is a plain building of brick and stone standing at a considerable distance from the village, and consists of chancel and nave and a western tower containing 1 small bell: in the chancel are two marble monuments with canopies to Sir Denner Strutt, lord of this manor, who died 1641; to Sir Denner Street, without date and to Dame Mary Strutt, who died in 1654. The registry dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, of the commuted tithe rent-charge, yearly value 287 10s, with residence and 37 acres of glebe, in the gift of David Roberts esq, and held since 1878 by the Rev Henry Jones Henry MA of St Johns College, Cambridge. The Chappington charity, left in 1709 by Hugh Chappington, of Little Warley, and arising from a house and 17 acres of land, produces 40 a year, which is applied towards the support of the schools and other  charitable purposes. On the common there are barracks for the training of recruits for the depot of the Essex regiment; these are capable of containing about fifteen hundred men: adjoining is a garrison chapel of which the Rev Charles Gregson MA, of University College, Durham, has been chaplain since 1885. Lord Headley is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; subsoil, stiff loam. The chief crops are wheat, beans, peas and barley. The area is 1,688 acres of land and 13 water; rateable value, 3,203; the population in 1881 was 685 (inclusive of 534  military in the barracks).

Parish clerk, William Mumford

Letter Box, Little Warley school, cleared at 5.30 pm; Sundays, 11,30 am. Letters through Brentwood.. Warley common is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Parochial School (mixed), for about 40 children; average attendance, 16; Miss Emma Parson, mistress

Henry Rev Henry Johns MA, Rectory

Nash Major Edward, Warley Lodge

Clark Geo (Mrs), farmer, Clapgate Farm

Crane James, farmer

Knightbridge Charles, farmer

Parson John, farmer

Pinchon Walter, farmer, Little Warley Hall

Seabrook Edward, farmer

Stock Elizabeth (Mrs), Greyhound PH

 

Search for a pub, an address or person

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 19:30:03 BST