Pub history and pub wiki

Phoenix, 24 Upper East Smithfield, Aldgate E1

Aldgate pub history index

Existed from at least 1826. At 16 Upper East Smithfield in 1851 & earlier. On the 15th September 1940 it was demolished by enemy action and closed.

Phoenix, 24 Upper East Smithfield, Aldgate E1

Phoenix, 24 Upper East Smithfield, Aldgate E1

Residents at this address.

1826/Stowell / Victualler /../../../Sun Fire Office Records, held at Guildhall Library *

1833-34/William Francis Stowell, Phoenix, 16 Upper East Smithfield/../../Pigot's Directory

1839/John Maxwell/../../../Pigots Directory

1841/Jno Maxwell/../../../Post Office Directory

1842/John Maxwell/../../../Robson�s Directory **

1851/William Richard Maxwell/../../../Post Office Directory

January 1853/Richard Cross/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

January 1853/Robert Mace/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1856/William Morgan/../../../Post Office Directory

In 1857, Edith Emma Morgan was born here (she was the daughter of William Simeon Morgan Vic.) He is a visitor here in the 1861 census - widower (this is William Simeon Morgan), He is later at the New York Stores ***

William has brothers Alfred B Morgan at the Royal Oak, and Edward Morgan at the Three Crowns ***

May 1861/William Simeon Morgan/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer

May 1861/Frederick Soames/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer

1861/Frederick Soames/Victualler/32/Mendlesham, Suffolk/Census
1861/William Morgan/Victualler, Visitor, Widower/34/Abargavenny, Monmouthshire/Census
1861/Ann Hale/Cook/70/Ilington, Hertfordahire/Census
1861/James Crane/Barman/21/Bristol, Somersetshire/Census
1861/Margaret Hayes/Housemaid/18/Woolwich, Kent/Census

1866/F Soames/../../../P.O. Directory *

1869/John Goy/../../../Post Office Directory

1871/John Goy/Licensed Victualler/42/North Hypeham, Lincoln/Census
1871/Elizabeth Goy/Wife/42/Lincoln/Census
1871/Anna E Goy/Daughter/15/St Georges East, Middlesex/Census
1871/John Rd Goy/Son/12/St Georges East, Middlesex/Census
1871/Ellen Goy/Daughter/10/St Georges East, Middlesex/Census
1871/William Goy/Son/6/St Georges East, Middlesex/Census
1871/Joseph Goy/Son/4/St Georges East, Middlesex/Census
1871/William Kempton/Servant/42/../Census

1882/Jno Maxwell/../../../Post Office Directory

1882/John Goy/../../../Post Office Directory

1884/John Goy/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/John Goy/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/Frederick W Gill/Publican/35/Lambeth, London/Census
1891/Augustus E Gill/Son, Barman/13/Wandsworth, London/Census
1891/George E Willers/Barman/19/Stepney, London/Census
1891/Walter H Swainson/Barman/15/Bermondsey, London/Census

1895/Edward Wm Harris/../../../Post Office Directory

1899/John Sanders/../../../Post Office Directory

1903-1909/Ernest Edwin Askins/../../../.. **

The "Phoenix", 24 Upper East Smithfield was run by our great grandfather Ernest Albert Askins in 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907,1908, 1909. Possibly he had taken over the pub a year earlier. Unfortunately we do not have the legal proof as all the local magistrates records for this period have been lost. **

When Ernest Albert Askins died on the 20th March 1909 the licence was possibly taken over by his second wife Mimi Mary Askins whom he had married in 1904, after his first wife Margaret died; or by his eldest son Ernest Edwin Askins **

We believe that Ernest Edwin held the licence until Ernest Edwin's youngest brother Sidney Askins could take over the licence around 1911/12 We are not sure of the actual transfer date because of the loss of the local magistrates records. After leaving the "Phoenix" Ernest Edwin Askins and his wife Elizabeth then moved out of London to take over the "Albert" in Witham. Here again the Essex Magistrates records were lost so we don't know the exact take over date. **

The Phoenix was destroyed during the war and now, no. 24 is a pharmacy. **

When our grandfather Ernest Edwin Askins reported his father's death to the authorities in 1909, he gave his address as 115, Curtain Road, Shoreditch. This is the address of the Marquis of Cornwallis. Now, whether he ran this pub or was just staying / working there we do not know. **

As far as we know he moved away from London to Fen Ditton, Cambridgeshire sometime after September 1904. Certainly in May 1907 he was running the "Plough" at Fen Ditton. The exact length of his stay at the "Plough" we have not yet researched. By March 1909 he had moved back to London, to the Marquis of Cornwallis. **

In 1902 the PO directory gave Ernest Edwin Askins as the LV of the Watermans Arms, 92, Wapping High Street. He had moved there from the Town of Ramsgate which, at that time, was being run by his father Ernest Albert Askins and before that by his father in law, Thomes Willets. **

1910/Ernest Edwin Askins/../../../Post Office Directory

1911/Ernest Edwin Askins/Licensed Victualler/32/Wapping/Census
1911/Elizabeth Askins/Wife, Assistant/30/Acton/Census
1911/Richard Ernest Askins/Son/6/Poplar/Census
1911/Arthur Charles Askins/Son/5/Cambridge/Census
1911/Herbert Askins/Son/3/Cambridge/Census
1911/Percy Askins/Son/3 months/St Botolph Aldgate/Census
1911/Francis Thomas Askins/Brother, Electric Worker/21/Wapping/Census
1911/Sydney Askins/Brother, Coachman/19/Wapping/Census
1911/Ada Alice McGill/Sister/27/Wapping/Census
1911/Margaret Askins McGill/Niece/1/Whitechapel/Census
1911/Alice Elizabeth Wright/Barmaid/30/Bloomsbury/Census
1911/Annie Alderton/General Servant/21/Bethnal Green/Census

1914/James Batchelor/../../../Post Office Directory

1915/James Batchelor/../../../Post Office Directory

1921/Sidney Askins/../../../Post Office Directory

1928 - 1940/Mrs Daines/../../../Freehold

1934/Mrs Grace E Daines/../../../Kellys Directory

1938/Mrs Grace E Daines/../../../Post Office Directory


* Provided By Stephen Harris

** Provided by John Askins

*** Provided By Raymond Morgan

Search for a pub, an address or person

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 03-Jul-2019 00:59:43 BST