All public house, restaurants, bars etc closed for the forseeable future from 20th March 2020, but this is a history site.
Bermondsey pub history index
Existed from at least 1881.
A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Bermondsey, Surrey, London. The Bermondsey, Surrey, London listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Residents at this address.
1882/James Kirtland/../../../Post Office Directory
1884/James Kirtland/../../../Post Office Directory
1891/George Edward Hatt/../../../Post Office Directory
1895/Frederick Claydon/../../../Post Office Directory *
1899/James Anstee/../../../Post Office Directory
James Anstee is listed at The White Hart in 1899. I believe James may only have begun there at some point in 1898, since he was still shown in the 1898 electoral roll where he previously resided, in Arthingworth, Northamptonshire. This would also tie in with Frank being fined and having his licence endorsed and thus his tenure ending at his previous premises, The King’s Head, 14 Winchester Street in January 1898 (after being accused by the Police Commissioner of allowing gambling on his premises on six occasions in December 1897). When Frank married James’s daughter Sarah in November 1897, he is shown on the marriage certificate as a Publican, residing at The White Heart Public House, Bermondsey. James is shown as a Publican. Sadly James died in October 1899, but from the 1901 Census below, it appears that Frank continued to run the pub. **
1901/Frank Freter/Licensed Victualler/48/Germany/1901 Census **
1901/Sarah Freter/Wife/33/Swanbourne, Bucks/1901 Census
1901/Frank T Freter/Son/6/Southwark/1901 Census
1901/Charles Freter/Son/5/Southwark/1901 Census
James had died intestate, and so left all his possessions to his widow, Mary Anstee. When Mary died in December 1906, through her will she bequeathed the lease, good will and possession of the White Hart to Frank. **
Towards the end of 1907, the County of London Compensation Authority, working under the provisions of the 1904 Licensing Act, chose to extinguish the Licenses of 115 public houses in it’s jurisdiction. The South London Press, on Friday January 31, 1908 confirmed compensation as follows:
“White Hart (full), Hickman’s folly, — F.Freter, tenant and under-lessee, £900; Noakes & Co., lessees, £1,482; freeholders, £959; total, £3,341.”
* Provided By Ewan
** Provided By Geoff Westbank