Bethnal Green pub history index
Existed from at least 1826. The Duke of York is named twice in directories, in 1839 and 1884 at New York Street. This street is on the northern side of Bethnal Green road at the eastern end. If you compare maps through the periods this is also named Blissett Street at times. All the license transfers in this page in the 1860s and as late as 1877 list the address as the Duke of York, Blisset street or Blissett Street; whilst many of the maps of this period actually name it as New York Street. Confusing. This is later the Duke of York, in Grove street.
Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.
Residents at this address.
1826/John Stephen Wolveridge/victualler/../../Sun Fire
Office records held at the London Metropolitan Archives *
1839/George Sherwin/../../../Pigotís Directory **
August 1866/James Lawrence/ Outgoing Licensee /../../Morning Advertiser
August 1866/John Marchant/ Incoming Licensee /../../Morning Advertiser
November 1866/John Marchant/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era
November 1866/Samuel Smith/Incoming Licensee/../../Era
November 1868/Samuel Smith, deceased, late occupier/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era
November 1868/Elizabeth Smith, widow of Samuel Smith/Incoming Licensee/../../Era
November 1871/George Arthur Brown/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era
November 1871/William James Johnson/Incoming Licensee/../../Era
March 1877/Caroline Johnson/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer
March 1877/R W Davies/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer
11th May 1878/Rees W Davis/Outgoing Licensee/../../East London Observer +
11th May 1878/Eliza Hutton/Incoming Licensee/../../East London Observer +
1884/John J Dowsett/../../../Post Office Directory
+ Provided by Friends of Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park
* Provided by Ewan