Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.
Residents at this address.
August 1848/Thomas Gilbert/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper
August 1848/William French/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper
1856/William Stroud/../../../Post Office Directory
April 1856/William Stroud/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era
April 1856/Daniel Clement Mendham/Incoming Licensee/../../Era
January 1862/M Frost/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era
January 1862/John Austin/Incoming Licensee/../../Era
February 1864/Alfred Greaves/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era
February 1864/William Turney/Incoming Licensee/../../Era
According to family history records: Joseph Heaviside was licensee of The Pump at 7 Paul Street, Portman Market from 1869 until his death from tuberculosis on 17 February 1870. His wife took over managing the pub until 2 April 1871 when she sold it and moved with her family to Aston Abbotts, Bucks where she became school mistress at the parish church school.
At an earlier time, Joseph’s father – also Joseph – was licensee of the Exeter Arms in Marylebone ( before 1837 - his year of death); after his death this was taken over by his wife Isabella Heaviside (nee Kemp). She later had the Carpenters Arms (before 1860) and was assisted by her son, Joseph Heaviside. ***
1869/Joseph Heaviside/../../../Post Office Directory
May 1870/Joseph Heaviside, deceased/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era Newspaper
May 1870/Maria Heaviside, widow of Joseph Heaviside, late occupier/Incoming Licensee/../../Era Newspaper
August 1874/John Fox/Outgoing Licensee/../../Kilburn Times *
August 1874/Ishmael Quinton/Incoming Licensee/../../Kilburn Times *
1881/Joseph Goulding/Publican/33/London, Middlesex/Census
1881/Ann M Goulding/Daughter/2 months/London, Middlesex/Census
1881/George C Mayhew/Pot Man/21/Suffolk/Census
1882/Joseph Goulding/../../../Post Office Directory
1884/Joseph Goulding/../../../Post Office Directory
* Provided By Julie Quinton
*** Provided By Susan Barnett
London pub history directory.