Newington pub history index
The address is 1 Rodney Buildings, New Kent Road in 1861 and earlier, prior to street renumbering, but not to be confused with the Crown and Anchor which has the same address in these years, due to inconsistent numbering. It is named in the 1851 and 1861 census returns. The address is given as Union Row in 1851 (the intersecting street). *
A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Newington, Surrey, London. The Newington, Surrey , London listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
Residents at this address.
1851/Joseph Matthews/Butcher & Beer Shop Keeper/37/Bromley, Kent/Census *
1851/James J. Matthews/Son/7/Branton, Surrey/Census
1851/Jane McDougal/Servant/45/Chelsea, Middlesex/Census
1856/Mrs Mary Matthews/beer retailer/../../Post Office Directory *
1861/Sophia Hobbs/Retailer of Beer/35/Blackheath, Kent/Census
1869/William Charles Cook/beer retailer/../../Post Office Directory *
1871/William Cook/Wine Dealer/35/Dorset/Census *
1871/Ellen Cook/Wife/37/Sandwich, Kent/Census
* Provided By Ewan
London pub history directory.