Pub history, pubwiki and London

Three Castles / Cockpit, 7 St Andrews Hill EC4 5BY

St Anns Blackfriars pub history index

This very long-established pub originally actually was a cock pit, but was re-named the Three Castles in 1849 when cock fighting was made illegal. It was rebuilt in its present form in around 1865.
In relatively recent times, although pre-1984, it reverted back to the name Cockpit. **

A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in St Anns Blackfriars, City of London. The St Anns Blackfriars, City of London Public House Trade Directory uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

Three castles,  7 St Andrews Hill - in August 2006

Three castles,  7 St Andrews Hill - in August 2006

Kindly provided by Stephen Harris

Cockpit, 7 St Andrews Hill EC4

Cockpit, 7 St Andrews Hill EC4

Kindly provided by Colleen

Cockpit, 7 St Andrews Hill EC4 - in May 2019

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

1805/William Evans, victualler, 7 St Andrews hill/../../Holdens Directory

1825/John Hunt/../../../Proceedings of the Old Bailey **

April 1827/John Hunt/../../../Licensed Victuallers Association

1832/Thomas Alford/../../../Robsons Directory

1842/Thomas Alford/../../../Robsons Directory

1843/James Hill, Wine Merchant, 7 St Andrews hill/../../Post Office Directory

1848/John Walker/Wine & Spirit Merchant/../../Post Office Directory

1851/John Walker/Wine & Spirit Merchant/../../Kellys Directory

1851/Benjamin Vernon/Publican/28/City of London/Census
1851/Mary Vernon/Wife/28/York/Census
1851/William Midgley/Barman/22/Peckham, Surrey/Census
1851/Elizabeth Lloyd/House Servant/18/Hampshire/Census

December 1851/John Walker/ Outgoing Licensee /../../The Era

December 1851/Benjamin Vernon/ Incoming Licensee /../../The Era

1856/Benjamin Vernon/../../../Post Office Directory

December 1859/Frederick John Abbott/Outgoing Licensee/../../London City Press

December 1859/John Newby/Incoming Licensee/../../London City Press

January 1862/John Newby/Outgoing Licensee/../../Era

January 1862/John James Pearce/Incoming Licensee/../../Era

1869/Richard Corish/../../../Post Office Directory

1881/James G Burden/Licensed Victualler/43/Abingdon, Berks/Census
1881/Ellen Hastic/General Servant Domestic/45/Scotland/Census
1881/John Humphrey/Barman/45/Scotland/Census

1882/James George Burden/../../../Post Office Directory

1884/George Fisher/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/Hy Brown/../../../Post Office Directory

1895/William Henry Ampleford/../../../Post Office Directory **

1899/Johan Holmboe Strangbye/../../../Post Office Directory **

1904/Frederick Upton/../../../Post Office Directory **

1906/Frederick Upton/../../../Post Office Directory

1910/Archibald Douglas Ayrton Lansdell/../../../Post Office Directory

1911/Frederick Saunders Lamb/Licensed Victualler/41/Marylebone, London/Census
1911/Louisa Saunders Lamb/Wife, Assistant/40/St Pancras, London/Census
1911/Roland Saunders Lamb/Son/5/Acton, London/Census
1911/Gwendoline Louisa Lamb/Daughter/5 months/City of London/Census
1911/Mary Ann Saunders Betts/Aunt, Widow/77/City of York/Census
1911/Alfred Whalley/Barman/23/Westminster, London/Census

1915/William Thomas Binks/../../../Post Office Directory

1922/Mrs Ethel Martha Snook/../../../Post Office Directory **

1934/Mrs Ethel Martha Snook/../../../Post Office Directory

1938/Mrs Ethel Martha Snook/../../../Post Office Directory

1944/Herbert Fairhurst/../../../Post Office Directory

1983/../COCKPIT: 7 St Andrew's Hill. Courage. Renamed the Three Castles after the abolition of cock-fighting in the middle of the eighteenth century, the pub reverted to its old name in recent times. /../../Pub Directory


** Provided By Stephen Harris

Man Loaded with Mischief
  • My favourite pub sign
  • Navigation

    And Last updated on: Tuesday, 10-Sep-2019 09:57:18 BST