This is the Cock Tavern which stood at the rear of the Royal Exchange, and was demolished by 1840.
A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in St Bartholomew at Exchange parish, City of London.
Residents at this address
Thread needle street is, according to Stow, a perversion of Three Needle street. Three needles are the charge on the shield of the Needle-makers Company arms.
There are a number of early tokens which exist relevant to the Cock, in Threadneedle street. These include an halfpenny to Robert Dawson at the Cock, Little Bartholomew. Another for a farthing to will bolton, of the Cock, Little Bartholomew. And another farthing, initials S I, in the year 1652 to the Cock, Little Bartholomew.
The Cock tavern, described in early newspaper advertisements of the last century as " the Cock eating-house behind the Royal Exchange," was the eastern-most of three houses erected against the south wall of St. Bartholomew's church, and stood the next, westward, to the banking-house of Prescott, Grote, and Company. The house is shown in Malton's north view of the Royal Exchange, 1798.
1811/John Lockett, Cock Tavern, Threadneedle street/../../Holdens Directory
1822/John Lockett, Cornhill Cock Tavern, 64 Threadneedle street/../../Directory
1832/Elizabeth Lockett & son, Cock Tavern, 64 Threadneedle street/../../Pigots Directory
1833-34/Elizabeth Lockett & son, Cock Tavern, 64 Threadneedle street/../../Pigots Directory
1834 and 1835/John William Lockett, Cook, Cock, 64 Threadneedle street/../../City of London Electoral register
1836/Jno Lockett, Cock Tavern, 64 Threadneedle street/../../Pigots Directory
1837/John Lockett, Threadneedle street, St Bartholomew Exchange/../../City of London Electoral register
On the demolition of the church, the Cock tavern, and other houses, in 1840, the sign, a spiritedly carved cock, eight feet and a half high, was, at the sale of building materials, purchased by Mr. Norman, a fixture dealer, 76, Old-street road, near the Curtain road, who placed it there, in the front of his house, since designated by him " the Cock fixture warehouse."
The Sun Fire office occupies in part the site of the church, the Cock tavern, and other buildings, then levelled for the city improvements.