St Michael Cornhill index
Sweeting rents are in the east side of Sweeting alley. It is believed that both street and rents were cleared for the rebuilding of the Royal Exchange which re-opened in 1844. An alternative spelling is Sweetings rents, and possibly Swithins rents according to maps. Many of the same occupants are still listed in the 1832 Robsons directory, 1836 Pigots directory, and also as late as the 1840 Robsons directory, but not by 1842.
A listing of historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in St Michael Cornhill parish, City of London.
Residents at this address.
1811/John Lewis, wine, rum & brandy merchant, New York Coffee house/../../Holdens
1811/_ Lewis, New York Coffee house Sweetings lane, Cornhill/../../Holdens Directory
1822/Jno Warren, New York Coffee House, Sweetings alley, Cornhill/../../Pigots Directory
Robert Burns Lodge Freemasons membership initiated October 7th 1822, Joseph Lyon, aged 40, Victualler, New York Coffee House, Cornhill, 1822 to 1824
1829/James Careless/New York Coffee House, 7 Sweetings rents/../../Robsons Directory
1832/James Careless/New York Coffee House, 7 Sweeting rents/../../Robsons Directory
1833-34/James Careless/New York Coffee House, 7 Sweeting rents/../../Pigots Directory
1836/James Careless/New York Coffee House, Sweeting rents/../../Pigots Directory
By 1841, James Careless is listed at the New York Coffee House, 2 St Michaels alley, Cornhill - this is a completely different place.