Do you have detail to add, please contact me : Kevan

Elephant & Castle, 17 Great Peter Street, St John, Westminster SW1

There has been a pub on this site, on the corner of Great Peter Street and Perkins Rents, since at least 1729. It was originally called “The Castle”, and was demolished in 1794/5 and rebuilt on the same site, renamed as “The Elephant and Castle”. Originally at No 12, street re-numbering made it No 17 in the first half of the nineteenth century, and a further re-numbering towards the end of the century made it No 46. It was re-named “The Speaker” in 1999. *

Westminster St John index

Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.

Speaker, 45 Great Peter Street - in October 2006

Speaker, 45 Great Peter Street - in October 2006

Kindly provided by Stephen Harris

Speaker, 45 Great Peter Street - in October 2014

Speaker, 45 Great Peter Street - in October 2014

Kindly provided by John Carnaby

Residents at this address.

1809/John Jenkins, Elephant and Castle, Peter street, Westminster/../../Holdens Directory

1833-34/George Evett, Elephant & Castle, 17 Great Peter Street, Westminster/../../Pigots Directory

1848/Patrick Fitzgibbon/../../../Post Office Directory

1851/P Fitzgibbon/../../../Kellys Directory

February 1855/Patrick Fitzgibbon/ Outgoing Licensee /../../The Era

February 1855/Thomas Lloyd/ Incoming Licensee /../../The Era

1856/Thomas Lloyd/../../../Post Office Directory

26th Jan 1858 / License transfer from T. Lloyd to M. Smith /../../../ The Era *

31st May 1859 / License transfer from Michael Smith to Abbott Smith /../../../ The Era *

28th May 1861 / License transfer from Abbott Smith (decd.) to Ann Smith /../../../ The Era *

28th Jan 1862 / License transfer from Ann Higgins (late Smith) to John Higgins /../../../ The Era *

12th May 1863 / License transfer from John Higgins to Robert Ball /../../../ The Era *

10th May 1864 / License transfer from Robert Ball to Charles Crocker /../../../ The Era *

8th Nov 1864 / License transfer from Charles Crocker to George Wilke /../../../ The Era *

3rd Nov 1868 / License transfer from George Wilks to John Burgess /../../../ The Era *

1869/Geo Wilks/../../../Post Office Directory

23rd Apr 1872 / License transfer from John Burgess to Walter Rowland /../../../ The Era *

1881/William Neave/Licensed Victualler/34/Oakley, Suffolk/Census
1881/Kate Neave/Wife/21/Yeovil, Somerset/Census
1881/Robert Neave/Cousin, Barman/20/Bow, Middlesex/Census

1882/William Neave/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/Richard Furness/../../../Post Office Directory

1895/Henry James Hurst/../../../Post Office Directory

1899/Alfred Wilkinson/../../../Post Office Directory

1915/William Arthur Atkins/../../../Post Office Directory

1938/George Lane/../../../Post Office Directory

1944/Frank Walter Cavanagh/../../../Post Office Directory

The list of licensees for the Speaker were : ***.

Dennis Reed operated here from 2004 to 2016 and since then myself, Thomas Harland.

Prior to Dennis there was a lady.

* Provided By John Hills

** Provided By Stephen Harris

*** Provided By Thomas Harland

And Last updated on: Sunday, 07-Aug-2022 00:00:44 BST