Do you have detail to add, please contact me : Kevan
  • Use the pubwiki, londonwiki, pubshistory, deadpubs and londontaverns search box here to research your ancestors by surname, street name, pub name etc. etc.
  • One Tun, 3 Perkins Rents, St John, Westminster

    In the heart of the notorious “Devil’s Acre”, this house had a reputation as “a headquarters for thieves and other evil-doers”. In a case heard by Bow Street magistrates on 23rd Sept 1795, a witness stated that he heard “two men in the yard conversing about their having robbed one Mr Green” and arguing about the distribution of the loot. The final tenant of the pub not only left without paying the rent, but also took with him “everything that could be conveniently removed.” The vacant building was leased in 1858 by a group headed by a well-known reformer, Miss Adeline Cooper, and converted into the One Tun Ragged School. The school moved to Old Pye Street in 1879, and the building was demolished. *

    Westminster St John index

    Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.

    Residents at this address.

    1841/William Young/Publican/45/Middlesex/Census *
    1841/Elizabeth Young/../30/ Middlesex/Census
    1841/William Young/../15/ Middlesex/Census
    1841/Grace Young/../20/ Middlesex/Census

    8th Aug 1847/License transfer from Thomas Walkington Cooke to Wm Coe/../../../The Era *

    4th June 1850/License transfer from William Humphryes to Charles Cross Laughton /../../../The Era *

    3rd Dec 1850/License transfer from Charles Cross Laughton to George Newton Swinson Jones/../../../The Era *

    8th April 1851/License transfer George Newton Swinson Jones to Charles Cross Laughton /../../../The Era *

    In the 1851 Census, No 3 was unoccupied  *

    25th May 1851/License transfer from Charles Cross Laughton to William Matthews /../../../The Era *
    The same transfer was agreed again on 17th Aug 1851

    22nd Nov 1853/ License transfer from James Stevens to Edward Jackson/../../../The Era *

    4th Aug 1855/ License transfer from Henry Newman to Charles Thomas Goble /../../../The Era *

    29th Jan 1856/ License transfer from Charles Thomas Goble to John Boyden/../../../The Era *

    11th Nov 1856/ Simeon Whytell, the landlord, was granted a license because the previous tenant had quit./../../../The Era *

    4th Mar 1857/ License transfer from Simeon Whytell to John Wilson/../../../The Era *

    * Provided By John Hills


    London pub history directory.

    And Last updated on: Sunday, 22-Nov-2020 12:28:04 GMT