You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Queens Arms, 8 Little College Street, St John, Westminster

Called “The Bull” before 1868. The address is variously given as Wood Street or Little College Street and once as both, suggesting it was on the corner, where the 1869 OS map marks a PH. In 1868, John Wildey, the then licensee, had his license removed for dealing in stolen property, and a year later Edward Taylor was granted a new license for the house under the new name of “The Queen’s Arms”. The following year, Mr Taylor was ejected, and Mark Johnson applied for the License Transfer. This was opposed by Mr Taylor, but granted after the usual enquiries as to Mr Johnson’s fitness. *

Westminster St John index

Historical London public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels.

Residents at this address.

“The Bull” :

1839/Samuel Lambert/../../../Pigot’s Directory *

1841/W.J.Potter/../../../Trade Directory *

1851/William James Potter/Bull, 8 Little College Street/../../Kellys Directory

1848/Thomas Tucker/Bull, 7 Little College Street/../../Post Office Directory

1851/Thomas Tucker/Bull, 7 Little College Street/../../Kellys Directory

1851/Thomas Tucker/Licensed Victualler/49/Wiveliscombe.Somersetshire/Census *
1851/Susan Tucker/Wife/47/Emswell, Suffolk/Census
1851/Mary Ann Tucker/Daughter/11/Westminster, Middlesex/Census
1851/Robt. Jas. Tucker/Son/9/ Westminster, Middlesex/Census
1851/Charles Holmes/Visitor/36/ Westminster, Middlesex/Census
1851/Christopher Hadson/Visitor/Peterborough, Northants/Census
1851/Charles Eagleton/Lodger/31/ Peterborough, Northants/Census
1851/William Wolain/Lodger/22/Winchester, Hants/Census
1851/Danl Winslow/Lodger/31/Westminster, Middlesex/Census

23rd Nov 1852/License trandfer from Thomas Tucker (decd) to Susan Tucker/../../../ The Era *
Susan is executrix of Thomas

11th Nov 1856/ License trandfer from Susan Tucker to James Delve Smith/../../../ The Era *

8th Nov 1859/License Transfer from Ann Frances Smith to George Burcham/../../../ The Era *
Ann is widow and administratrix of James

28th Jan 1862/License Transfer from George Burcham to Henry Maris/../../../ The Era *

6th Nov 1866/License Transfer from Henry Maris to John Wildey/../../../ The Era *

25th March 1868/License taken away from J H Wildey/../../../ The Era *
Name changed to “The Queen’s Arms” :

19th March 1869/New License granted to Edward Taylor/../../../ The Era *

25th Jan 1870/License Transfer from Edward Taylor to Mark Johnson/../../../ The Era *

25th Oct 1870/License Transfer from Mark Johnson to William Jewitt/../../../ The Era *

29th Aug 1871/License Transfer from William Jowitt to John Parker/../../../ The Era *

1881/Anna Dovey/Licensed Victualler/40/Birmingham, Warwick/Census
1881/Ada Florence Dovey/Daughter/17/St Lukes Barthol Sq/Census
1881/Llewellyn J Dovey/Son/15/St Lukes Barthol Sq/Census
1881/Emma Harris/General Servant/20/Camden Town/Census

1882/Charles Bromhall/../../../Post Office Directory

1884/Wm H Hiscock/../../../Post Office Directory

1891/William Henry Hiscock/../../../Post Office Directory

1895/William Henry Hiscock/../../../Post Office Directory

1899/Mrs Alice Hiscock/../../../Post Office Directory


* Provided By John Hills

** Provided By Stephen Harris

 

And Last updated on: Sunday, 22-Nov-2020 12:28:09 GMT