Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses,
Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses
information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar
staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to
Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
Shirburn 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co Directory listing
SHIRBURN is a small parish, in the hundred of Pyrton, and union of Thame;
situate 1 mile S.E. from Watlington, and 14 S.E. by E. from Oxford. The
village contained by the census of 1861, 292 inhabitants; acreage, 2420. The
church, dedicated to All Saints, is an old stone structure, containing
several monuments, and has a square tower, with two bells and a clock. The
benefice is a vicarage, in the Aston deanery, valued at £145 per annum; the
Rev. James Beauchamp, M.A., is the present incumbent, and the Rev. George
Ferdinando Collins, of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, is the curate. The
Right Hon. the Earl of Macclesfield, patron of the living and lord of the
manor, resides at Shirburn Castle, a very ancient and fine castellated
mansion, surrounded by a deep moat; it is enclosed in a well wooded park, 70
acres in extent. In the village is a school for boys and girls, conducted on
the National system.
Beauchamp Rev James, M.A., (incumbent)
Macclesfield Right Hon. Earl of, Shirburn castle
Filbee George, farmer
Franklin Daniel, baker
Styles _, farmer
Watson W., steward to Earl of Macclesfield, Model farm
Letters through Tetswortb.
**** Provided By Kevan