London 1746 Rocques map
You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Upper Heyford, Oxfordshire 1863 Directory

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Oxfordshire. The Oxfordshire listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

The following entries are in this format:

Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.

Upper Heyford 1863 Dutton, Allen & Co Directory listing

UPPER HEYFORD, or Heyford Warren, is a village and parish, situate on the river Cherwell, in the hundred of Ploughley and union of Bicester, from which latter place it is 6 miles N.W., and 6 N.E. from Woodstock. The Oxford Canal and Birmingham and Oxford Railway run near this place. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small ancient stone structure, principally of Gothic style, and consists of nave, chancel, and aisle, with low embattled tower. On one of the buttresses are carved the arms of William of Wykeham, the founder of New College, Oxford, who died in 1404. There is a very ancient sarcophagus in the chancel, on the cover of which is a figure in an attitude of prayer. Near the pulpit, on which the year 1618 is carved, there is an hour glass in a perfect state of preservation. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of New College, Oxford; the Rev. W. Wetherell is rector. In the upper or eastern part of the parish is a fosse and a vallum, which Camden says probably formed the boundary betweon the kingdoms of Merica and West Saxony. This part was called Aves, supposed to be a corruption of Offa's dykes. At the Manor farm, occupied by Mr Edmund Creek, is a very ancient and primitive looking barn, said to have been built by William of Wykeham. The Warden and Fellows of New College, Oxford, are lords of the manor. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyan Reformers have places of worship here. A parochial school has lately been built. The population in 1861 was 453; number of acres 1556
Wetherell Rev. W. (rector)
Wood G., esq.

Adams Sarah (Mrs), day school
Allen Elizabeth (Mrs), miller
Andrews Eli, postmaster
Austin William, farmer
Berry Edward, butcher
Berry Joyce (Mrs), day school
Brain Chas., boot & shoemaker
Coggins Richard, farmer and grazier
Cooper John, corn merchant
Creek Edmund, farmer and grazier, Manor house
Dew Mary (Mrs), grocer
Edmunds Richard, grocer
Fathers John, stone mason
Fathers Robert, stone mason
Featherstone Joseph, mason
French Henry, carpenter
George John, farmer & grazier
Greaves R., farmer. Day's farm
Haynes Wm, boot & shoemaker
Hines Wm., chimney sweeper
Hore Devereux, baker
Hore Sarah (Mrs), farmer
Izzard John, farmer & grazier
Kilby George, Three Horse Shoes, and blacksmith
Mailings Urban, farmer
Parish John, beer retailer and tailor
Walton John, stone mason
West Henry, carpenter and wheelwright

Post Office, Eli Andrews, sub-postmaster. Letters through Deddington, arrive at 10 a.m.; dispatched at 5-30 p.m.

**** Provided By Kevan

And Last updated on: Sunday, 29-Mar-2020 14:31:16 BST