History of Plaistow in 1866 Post Office directory
History of Plaistow
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales...., by John Marius Wilson. circa 1866
PLAISTOW, a village, a chapelry, and a ward, in West Ham parish, Essex. The village stands on the great N sewer of the London sewage-works, adjacent to the London and Southend railway, 1½ mile SSE of Stratford, and 6¼ E by N of St. Paul's, London; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under London E, and a metropolitan police station. The chapelry was constituted in 1844, and curtailed in 1862 and 1867. Pop., in 1861, 11,214. House, 1,689. Pop. As curtailed, 6,714. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of West Ham. The church was built in 1831 at a cost of £4,800; and is in the Tudor style. There a re chapels for Independents and Quakers, and national, British, and Independent schools; and the last were built in 1866, at a cost of £2,500, and have accommodation for 500 children. The ward comprises the larger portion of the parish; contains the Victoria docks and Silvertown; and consists, to a considerable extent, of marsh. Real property, in 1860, £81,004; of which £24 were in railways. Pop., with Church-street ward, in 1851, 8,231; in 1861, 22,337. Houses, 3,418.
Transcribed by Noel Clark