Search London wiki and Pub wiki history sites

History of Plaistow in 1878 Post Office directory

Plaistow index

History of Plaistow

Plaistow 1878


Plaistow ward comprises the larger portion of West Ham parish, in the southern division of the county, diocese of  St Albans, archdeaconry of Essex, barking rural deanery, Becontree Hundred, West Ham union and Local Board district, Bow County Court district, and within the jurisdiction of the Central Criminal court and Metropolitan police; the place is in the Eastern metropolitan postal district. The most thickly populated part of the district is 4 ½ miles from Whitechapel church, by the Commercial and East India Dock roads, having the river Lee on the west. The London and Tilbury railway Company have two stations here, and the Great Eastern branch line to North Woolwich has a station in the Barking road, Canning Town. The iron bridge was constructed over the river Lee in 1810. Plaistow was, on the 10th June, 1844, constituted an ecclesiastical parish from the mother parish of West Ham. St Mary’s church is in the Tudor style and was completed in 1830, at a cost of £4,800: it consists of chancel, nave, and aisles. The register dates from the year 1830. the living is a vicarage, yearly value £240, in the gift of the vicar of West ham, and held by the Rev Ricjard William Bishop Marsh MA, of St John’s College, Cambridge. There is also an (iron) church (St Peters), a mission church in Pelly Road, licensed by the Bishop of St Albans, October 29th, 1877. St Andrew’s is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1871 from the parish  of St Mary, Plaistow, and in the civil parish of West Ham. St Andrew’s church was consecrated by the Bishop of Rochester on July 26th, 1870: it is a stone building in the Early English style, and consists of a chancel, nave and aisles. The register dates from the year 1870. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £189, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans, and held by the Rev George Godsell, MA, of Hertford College, Oxon. There are National schools for boys, girls, and infants, also Board schools. The Baptists, Wesleyans, Methodist Free Church, Primitive Methodists, Society of Friends, and Congregationalists have ach places of worship here. The East London cemetery was opened in 1871: it comprises 43 acres, and contains two chapels. Broadway House, situate about a quarter of a mile from the railway station is a Home for destitute little girls, established in 1872; it is supported by voluntary contributions, and will hold 60, and is under the superintendence of Miss Lee. The Poplar Small Pox and Fever Hospital is in the course of erection in Southern Road, and will comprise two large brick buildings, forming four wards, which will contain upwards of 80 beds; in an adjoining block are medical officers’ and stewards rooms, matrons apartments etc. The Plaistow Ward includes Plaistow (proper), Canning Town south of the Barking Road, and Silvertown. The population of the Plaistow Ward of the West Ham Local Board district in 1871 was 23,371. The population in 1871 of St Mary’s was 3,448; area, 220  acres; rateable value £130, 296; St Andrew’s population 3,251.
 
Parish Clerk (St Mary’s), Archibald McDowall
 
Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office, High Street  - William Samuel Potter, postmaster
Post & Money Order Office & Savings Bank, Barking Road – Charles Stickland, postmaster
 
Insurance Agents:-
Alliance Fire & Life, R L Curtis, Broadway
British Equitable (life only), H A Bradley, 1 Railway Terrace, Plaistow Road
Hand in Hand Fire & Life, H A Bradley, 1 Railway Terrace, Plaistow Road
Manchester Fire, E Littler, Chesterton Crescent
Plate Glass, H A Bradley, 1 Railway Terrace, Plaistow Road
Railway Passengers, H A Bradley, 1 Railway Terrace, Plaistow Road
Sun (fire only), G A Smith, Barking Road
 
Public Establishments:-
Temperance Hall, North Street, Mrs Mary Ann West, hall keeper
Police Station, Barking Road, Eccles Golding, resident sergeant
Relieving Officers for Victoria Dock District, Archibald McDowall, Barking Road; for Plaistow, William Orme, lena Cottage, Stock Street
 
Places of Worship:-
St Andrews Church, St Andrews Road, Rev George Godsall MA, vicar
St Mary’s Church, St Mary’s Road, Rev R W B Marsh MA, vicar
St Andrew’s Mission Church & School, Whitwell Road
Barking Road Tabernacle, Barking Road, Rev Robert Hope Gillespie, pastor
Christian Brethren’s Chapel, Upper Road
Christian Mission Chapel, Upper Road
Friends’ Meeting House, North Street
Union Congregational Church, Balaam Street, Rev David Alexander
United Methodist Free Church, Pelly Road
Wesleyan Chapel, Sweet Street
 
Schools:-
National (boys, girls & infants), St Mary’s Lodge, St Mary’s Road, William Yallop, master; Mrs Maria Yallop, mistress; Miss Charlotte Stott, infants mistress
St Andrews (mixed), Well Street, vacant
St Andrews National (mixed), St Andrews Road, Austin Griffin, master; Mrs Miriam Harper, mistress
St Peter’s (mixed), Pelly Road, Miss Hannah Willies, mistress
West Ham Board School, North Street, William John Pickworth, master
West Ham Board Schools (mixed), Balaam Street, Alfred Brown, master; Miss Amelia Hannah Woods, mistress; Miss Alice Bridgman, infants mistress
 
Railway Stations:-
Railway Station, William Chalk, station master
Upton Park, Charles Maple Ansell, station master
 
Omnibuses:-
To Stratford (daily), from ‘Old Greyhound’. Balaam Street
To Poplar railway Station, from ‘Abbey Arms’, Barking Road, daily
 
Carriers to London – William Perry, daily. James Leftley, from Barking, comes through every day, except Wednesday

And Last updated on: Wednesday, 18-Sep-2019 10:40:35 BST