You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Romford 1862 Post Office Directory

 History of Romford

Romford is an ancient market town and post town, union town and railway station, in Rochester diocese, Essex archdeaconry, Romford deanery, seated on the little river Rom, on the high road from London to Colchester, 12 miles east of Whitechapel, 17 south west of Chelmsford, 8 north east of barking, and 6 south west of Brentwood. It consists mostly of two streets, crossing each other at right angles; the principal one, in which the cattle market is held, runs from west to east, is of considerable length, good width, and contains many capital houses and capacious shops, beside the church, Corn Exchange, Gaol, and Town Hall. The Eastern Counties railway (London to Colchester) passes close to the town on a lofty embankment at the bottom of South street: there are separate stations for goods and passengers; also a station of the Electric Telegraph Company. Romford is one of the polling places for the southern division of Essex. The paving, lighting and improving the town is managed by a Local Board of Health, appointed under the Health of Towns’ Act. The Liberty quarter sessions are held on the Friday succeeding the county quarter sessions and petty sessions every Friday. The market for cattle and corn, one of the largest around London, is held every Wednesday. The fair, chiefly for horses and pleasure, is held on Midsummer day. Here are gas works; the extensive brewing and malting establishments of Messrs Ind Coope and Co; agricultural implement works and foundries. Several new streets are laid out, and many new houses are rising up in the vicinity of the railway station. There is an endowed National School, and an infant school on the National plan. There are two other schools connected with the church; also a British School, and a school for Roman Catholics. There are an Independent chapel, erected in 1812, endowed with £95 a year, and originally founded (1794) at Havering Well, where there is still a cemetery belonging to the congregation. A Baptist chapel, erected in 1847; a Wesleyan chapel, in 1827; and a Roman Catholic chapel, in 1853. Each of these chapels have Sunday schools in connection. There are a Savings Bank, a branch of the London and County Bank, a, and a Mechanics’ Institute. Romford is the capital of, and within the liberty of, Havering atte Bower, which comprises the three parishes of Hornchurch, Romford and Havering. This liberty has an ancient, peculiar, and separate jurisdiction, granted by various charters. The original, granted by Edward the Confessor, has since received many additions and confirmations. It is independent of the county, appoints its own magistrates, has a clerk of the peace, coroner, gaol, quarter and petty sessions, courts of record and ancient demesne, and a prerogative court of wills. It is governed by a high steward and three justices: all business relative to the liberty is transacted in the town of Romford. The parish contains about 6,120 acres. In 1861, the population of the parish was 6,206, and of the town about 4,800. Market gardening, grazing, and agriculture form the chief occupations of the people.
Romford union comprises the ten parishes of Barking, Cranham, Dagenham, Great Warley, Havering, Hornchurch, Rainham, Romford, Upminster, and Wennington. The population of the whole is 24,607. The Union Workhouse, close to the town, was built in 1838, and will accommodate 500 inmates; it cost £9,500. In 1850, the old parish church was pulled down, and a new one erected on the site.
The new church of St Edward the Confessor, is a handsome erection, in the later Decorated style, built of Kentish rag stone, with Bath stone dressings: it has a nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with chapels; the tower stands on the south; it has an embattled parapet, and is crowned with a spire, the whole rising 162 feet from the ground; there is a peal of 8 bells and a clock. An additional church, to be called St Andrews, is in course of erection, to which a district, at the western end of the town, will be assigned; it will be in the gift of New College, Oxford; the Venerable Anthony Grant, DCL, archdeacon of St Albans, is the incumbent. Francis Quarles, author of the “Book of Emblems”, was born in the old manor house, called Stewards. He was an adherent of King Charles I. Henry Repton, the celebrated landscape gardener, resided at Repton Cottage, in the hamlet of Hare Street.
Gidea Hall is half a mile east of Romford. Here, in the old mansion, Sir Anthony Cooke entertained Queen Elizabeth in 1568. “Marshalls”, on the north of the town, is the seat of Richard Swift, Esq. “Priests”, the seat of Octavius Mashiter, Esq, is on the Havering Road, 1 mile north. At Dagnam park, at the extremity of the parish 4 miles north east, is the mansion of Sir Digby Neave, Bart.
This is in the Eastern postal district.
Collier Row, 2 miles north; Hare Street, 1 mile east; Noak Hill, 4 miles north east; Prospect Place, 1 mile north, are hamlets in the parish of Romford. At Noak Hill is a small church or chapel of ease to Romford, served by one of the clergy from the parish church; there is a National school and post office.
The County Court is held in the Court House, near the railway station, once a month. The following is a list of the parishes within the jurisdiction of this court :- Abridge, Aveley, Barking, Cranham, Chigwell, Dagenham, Havering Atte Bower, Hornchurch, Lambourne, North and South Ockendon, Rainham, Stapleford Abbot, Stapleford Tawney, Stifford, Upminster, and Wennington.

And Last updated on: Sunday, 22-Nov-2020 14:14:39 GMT