You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Romford 1874 Post Office Directory

 History of Romford

Romford is an ancient market town and railway station, and is head of the union and of a county court district, and is a polling place for the Southern division of the county, in Essex archdeaconry, Romford rural deanery, and Rochester diocese, seated on the little river Rom, on the high road from London to Colchester, 12 miles from Whitechapel, 17 south west from Chelmsford, 8 north east from barking, and 6 south west from Brentwood: the town consists chiefly of two streets, crossing each other at right angles; the principal one, in which the cattle market is held, runs from west to east, and is of considerable length and good width. The Great Eastern railway passes on a lofty embankment at the bottom of South street: there are separate stations for goods and passengers. The town is governed by a Local Board of Health. Romford is the capital of, and within the liberty of, Havering ate Bower, which comprises the three parishes of Hornchurch, Romford and Havering: this liberty has an ancient, peculiar, and separate jurisdiction, granted by various charters: the original by Edward the Confessor, has since received many additions and confirmations: it is independent of the county, appoints its own magistrates, has a clerk of the peace, coroner, gaol, quarter and petty sessions, courts of record and ancient demesne, and a prerogative court of wills: it is governed by a high steward and three justices: all business relative to the liberty is transacted in the town of Romford. The liberty quarter sessions are held on the Friday succeeding the county quarter sessions, and petty sessions every Friday. The church of St Edward the Confessor, erected in 1850 on the site of the old parish church, is a handsome building, in the later Decorated style, built of Kentish rag stone, with Bath stone dressings: it has a chancel, nave, aisles, with chapels: the tower stands on the south, and has an embattled parapet, and is surmounted by a spire, the whole rising 162 feet from the ground: there is a peal of 8 bells and a clock: the church contains a monument, with alabaster affigies, of Sir Anthony Cooke, preceptor to King Edwrd VI (ob 1576), and his family, The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £700, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held by the Rev Edward Fox, MA, of that college. St Andrew’s church was erected and a district assigned in 1863: it is a plain stone building in the Perpendicular style, with spire and 1 bell. The living is a rectory, yearly value £300, in the gift of New College, Oxford, and held by the Rev William James Skilton, MA, of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There is an endowed National school, and an infant school on the National plan: two other schools connected with the church; also a British school, and a school for Roman Catholics. The Independent chapel, erected in 1812, is endowed with £95 a year, and originally founded (1794) at Havering Well, where there is still a cemetery belonging to the congregation. The Baptist chapel was erected in 1847; a Wesleyan chapel, in 1827; and a Roman Catholic chapel erected in 1853; each of these chapels have Sunday schools in connection. Romford union comprises the parishes of Barking, Cranham, Dagenham, Great Warley, Havering, Hornchurch, Rainham, Romford, Upminster, and Wennington: the population of the whole is 24,607. The Union workhouse, close to the town, was built in 1838, and will accommodate 500 inmates: it cost £9,500; the gross estimated rental of the union is £191,986; rateable value, £155,827. The county court is held in the Court House, near the railway station, once a month. The following parishes are within the jurisdiction of this court: - Abridge, Aveley, Barking, Cranham, Chigwell, Dagenham, Havering ate Bower, Hornchurch, Lambourne, North and South Ockendon, Rainham, Stapleford Abbot, Stapleford Tawney, Stifford, Upminster, and Wennington. There is a branch of the London and County Bank, a Savings Bank, and a Mechanics’ Institute; also gas works: the extensive brewing establishment of Messrs Ind, Coope and Co; agricultural implemenr works, and foundries. There are almshouses, founded by Roger Reede in 1784, for ten persons, and several other charities. Francis Quarles, author of the “Book of Emblems”, was born in the old manor house, called Stewards: he was an adherent of King Charles I. Henry Repton, the celebrated landscape gardener, resided at Repton Cottage, in the hamlet of Hare Street. The market for cattle and corn, one of the largest around London, is held every Wednesday. The fair, chiefly for horses and for pleasure, is held in midsummer. Gidea Hall, half a mile east of Romford, is the residence of the Rev Thomas S Gray, DD: here, in the old mansion, Sir Anthony Cooke entertained Queen Elizabeth in 1568. Marshalls, on the north of the town, is the property of David MacIntosh, esq, and is at present occupied by a yearly tenant. Priests, the seat of Octavius Mashiter esq, JP, is on the Havering road, 1 mile north. Market gardening, grazing, and agriculture form the chief occupations of the people. The parish contains about 6,120 acres; gross estimated rental, £42,175; rateable value £34,712; in 1861 the population of the parish was 6,206, and in 1871, 8,239; the population of St Andrew’s is 3,766 and of the town about 6,335

Collier Row, 2 miles north; hare Street, 1 mile east; Noak Hill, 4 miles north east, and Prospect Place, 1 mile north, are hamlets in the parish of Romford. At Noak Hill is a small chapel of ease to Romford, served by one clergy from the parish church; there is a National school and post office.

Parish clerk, Chas Bamford, Stanley Lodge, Eastern Road


Official Establishments, Local Institutions etc


Post & Money Order & Telegraph Office, savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office – Josiah Garnett, postmaster, South street. Letters arrive from Yarmouth, Norwich, Ipswich, Colchester, Chelmsford, Ingatestone & Brentwood at 4 am; London at 9 am, 2.15, 6.15 & 9.30 & 12 pm; Grays at 7 pm; Horndon on the Hill at 6.45 pm. Letters dispatched to Grays at 5 am; Horndon on the Hill at 5 am; London at 3.48 & 9.15 am & 12.15 & 3.45 & 8.30 pm; Yarmouth 8.30 pm; Letter box closes at 10 pm. Letters delivered in Romford at 7.30 & 9.30 am & 2.30 & 7.30 pm. Messengers leave Romford to deliver letters at Rainham t 9.30 am; Dagenham at 9.30 am; & Collier Row at 6 & 9.30 am


Insurance Agents:-

Atlas, H Lucas, High Street; C Freeman, Marshford House, Dagenham

British Empire Mutual Life, W B Lake, High Street

Clerical, Medical & General Lie, A H Hunt

Economic Life, E Pertwee, High Street

Emperor Life, H Biddlecombe, Victoria Road

Essex & Suffolk Equitable, Mabbett & Pink, High Street

General Life, W B Lake, High Street

Guardian, T Champness

Liverpool & London & Globe, J W Lashan, High Street; E C Allan, South Street; E Silcocks, High Street

London & Lancashire, H W H Lea

Manchester Fire, T Robinson, The Library

Northern Fire, J R A Hulse

Norwich Union, C I Macarthy

Phoenix Fire, R Roberts, High Crichton villas

Queen, J Garnett, South street

Royal Exchange, J Y Collier, Western Road

Scottish Equitable, R Roberts, High Street

Scottish Fire, H Biddlecombe, North Street

Standard Life,  C Burgess

Star Life, C Godfrey

Sun, N Surridge, South Street

Union, J Hammond, Pavement

Westminster Fire & Westminster & General Life, G Breeden, Albert Road

Whittington Life, M Boxall, Junction Road


Public Establishments:-

Romford Union Workhouse, Dagenham Road, rev James Godday, chaplain; James McDonald, master; Miss Mary Best, mistress; Thomas Wm Capron, hare Street & Alfred Sherman, Ilford, relieving officers

Town hall, Market Place

Corn Exchange, High Street, Thos Champness, manager

County Court, John Thomas Abdy, LL D, judge; Henry Skehell Haynes, registrar; Charles Godfrey, high bailiff; office, South Street

Stamp Office, Market Place, Christopher I Macarty

Police Office, Court House, Market Place, james Pepper, inspector

St Edward’s hall, Market Place

Almshouse, North Street


Public Officers:-

Coroner for the Liberty of Havering ate Bower, Wm Henry Clifton, H S Haynes, deputy; Joint Clerks to the magistrates & to the Commissioners of land & Assessed Taxes, Clerks to the Petty Sessions for the District of the Half Hundred of Becontree, Clerks to the Commissioners of Sewers of Havering, Dagenham & other Levels, Clerk of the Peace, Keeper of the Records of Liberty & superintendent Registrar of the Romford Union, William Henry Clifton, Henry Shekell Haynes, deputy.

Clerk to the magistrates of the Orsett Division, Clerk to Romford Highway Board, Commissioner to Administer Oaths in Chancery & in the Common Law Courts, Perpetual Commissioner for taking Acknowledgements of Marries Women, North Surridge

Clerk to the Local Board of health, to Burial Board & vestry Clerk, Alfred henry Hunt

Clerk to the Board of Guardians, William Smith, Hare Street

Clerk to School Board, William Smith

District Surveyor to Highway Board, Frederick Nicholson, Eastern Road

Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Thomas William Capron, Hare Street; Deputy, Charles Bamford

Town Surveyor, William Owen

Inland Revenue Officer, Samuel Foster, George Street

Inspector of Corn Returns, Edward Tolbutt

Inspector of Weights & measures, William Gilpin

Inspector of Nuisances, William Owen

Inspector of Nuisances for Rural Districts, Robert Hughes, North Street


Places of Worship:-

St Edward’s church, Rev Edward Fox, MA, vicar

St Andrew’s District church, St Andrew’s Road, rev William James Skilton, MA, rector

Roman catholic chapel, St Edward’s Square, Rev Joseph William Wright Drew, priest

Baptist chapel, North Street

Independent chapel, North Street, rev Frederick Sweet

Salem chapel, London Road

Wesleyan chapel, High Street, ministers various



Albion Street Board school, Mark Boxall, master

National, Henry Robert Heasman, master; Miss Mary Ann Woodland, mistress; Mrs Louisa Brewer, infants mistress

Church, Forest, Collier Row, Miss Amy Swain, mistress

National, Noak Hill, Mrs Staines, mistress

St Andrew’s (mixed), St Andrew’s Road, James Bryant, master

Roman Catholic, St Edward’s Square, Miss Julia Casye, mistress

 Railway Station, Eastern Road, Charles Collier, station master; Goods Department Enquiry Office, South Street, James Wright, clerk


Posting House, ‘Golden Lion’, Peter Reynolds, High Street

Mail cart from ‘Lamb’, Market Place, to Grays, Horndon on the Hill & Ongar

Omnibus to rainham, twice on Wednesday

Omnibus to Hornchurch & Corbets tey, daily at 6 pm from Peter Reynolds, ‘Golden Lion’, High Street

Carrier to London – G Hoppe, from his own house, High Street, daily at 9 am, returning same day; & William Manning



And Last updated on: Sunday, 22-Nov-2020 14:14:40 GMT