London 1746 Rocques map
You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Angel, High Street, Wincanton, Somerset

Wincanton pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset.

 

Residents at this address

In High Street. The site now occupied by one shop of Mr.G. F. Benjafield. Kept in or about 1678 by Jasper Stacey.    - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1774 — Andrew Ivy.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1792— Angel Lane is mentioned in the accounts of the Feoffees.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1797 — James Thorn.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1801 — Joseph Hutchings. Census of that year.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1811 - John Way. Census of that year.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

Apparently Way was the last tenant who held a license in this house, for people to be "drunk on the premises." Mr. Melhuish, after this, kept a wine and spirit store here. He was followed by Mrs. John Goodfellow, who had a ladies' school. Some time in the thirties, Mr. George Russell, senr., opened a drapery shop, and called it " London House." After several other changes of tenants it still bears this name,   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.


And Last updated on: Monday, 10-Aug-2020 21:10:59 BST