London 1746 Rocques map
You can search the historical London and Pub wiki sites by surname, street name, district etc.

Bell, South street, Wincanton, Somerset

Wincanton pub history index

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset.

 

Residents at this address

In South Street, where Stuckey's bank stands.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1608. Left by will of Thomas Ewens, of Kingston, Yeovil, in trust for the poor of Wincanton.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1693. Conveyed by Robert Freke to Richard Churchey and others.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1699. Granted by Philip Bennett and others for lives to Thomas Beacon.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1721. In possession of Mr. Wm. Plucknett, who held it for lives.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1752. Mr. Henry Plucknett, jeweller, took a 99 years' lease of it, depending on the lives of his wife and Dr. Roseamzer for £30 in hand and 10/- per annum.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1774. Mr. Hindley was the holder of the lease. Land Tax Return.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.

1823. Richard Ring is mentioned as having held it on the life of Mrs. Hindley, but who had recently died. About this date a new house was erected by a Mr. Barrett, to whom it was granted for three lives. The house cost Mr. Barrett £5oo to build, and he paid a ground rent of £2 per annum.
Stuckey's Banking Company purchased the interest of the lessees, and a few years since bought the freehold, when they greatly enlarged the house.   - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.


And Last updated on: Monday, 10-Aug-2020 21:10:59 BST