All public house, restaurants, bars etc closed for the forseeable future from 20th March 2020, but this is a history site.
Wincanton pub history index
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Somerset. The Somerset listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
The following entries are in this format:
Year/Publican or other Resident/Relationship to Head and or Occupation/Age/Where Born/Source.
Stood in the market place where Mr, J. C. Hinks' shop now stands. With the
exception of the shop windows it looks very much as when built. Benjamin
Lewys, or as the token issued in 1667 calls him 'Ben Lewes,' was living
there when the token was made. There were three of the same name living in
the parish at that time. Ben died in 1679. He belonged to a family of some
position, himself being churchwarden in 1667. - Inns of the Parish to
1903 - George Sweetman.
In 1710, a " Mr. Smith " was landlord there. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
In 1736, Bernard James occupied the house, and was there in 1745. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
In 1774, Mr. William Day paid Land Tax on the house. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
By 1806, it had been transformed into a bank, and was occupied by Mr. Thomas Garrett. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
In 1822, James Longman married Mary Hine, and carried on the business of a draper. He died in 1844 when his widow succeeded him. She gave up to her son, S. H. Longman, who carried on the business for many years. He died in 1886, when his widow succeeded. She retired, and disposed of the business
in 1891 to Mr. J. C. Hinks, who is now in possession. - Inns of the Parish to 1903 - George Sweetman.
**** Provided By Kevan