All public house, restaurants, bars etc closed for the forseeable future from 20th March 2020, but this is a pub history site.
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Surrey . The Surrey listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
ABINGER in 1913, is a parish, 3 miles south-east from Gomshall station on the South
Eastern and Chatham railway, 4l
miles south-west from Dorking, and 28 by road and 37 by ral from London, in
the South Eastern division of the
county, first division of the hundred of Wotton, Dorking petty sessional
division, union and county court district,
rural deanery of Dorking, archdeaconry of Surrey and diocese of Winchester.
This place gives the title of baron to the
Scarlett family. The church of St. James is an ancient fabric of stone and
rubble, chiefly in the Norman and Early
English styles: there is a small belfry with spire and containing 3 bells:
the church has several stained windows
and was restored in 1880: it affords 200 sittings. The register dates from
the year 1559. The living is a rectory, net income
£460, wlith 22 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of John H. C.
Evelyn esq. and held since 1877 by the Rev. Thomas
Prince Hill M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The charities for distribution
amount to about £88 yearly. Parkhurst is the seat of Lieut. Col. Thomas
Herbert Lewin J.P. Abinger Hall
is the residence of Lord Farrer J.P. J. H. C. Evelyn esq. J.P. of Wotton,
Dorking, who is lord of the manor, Lieut.-Col. T. H.
Lcwin, Lord Farrer J.P. The Earl of Lovelace and the Right Hon. Lord Justice
Sir Vaughan-Williams P.C. are the chief landowners. The soil is chiefly
sand; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is
7,560 acres of land and 17 of water; rateable value, £10,860; the population
in 1911 was 1,573 in the civil and 711 in the ecclesiastical parish.
FOREST GREEN, 2 miles south-west-by-east, lies southwest of Leith Hill, in the chapelry of Oakwood, which was partly in this parish and partly in that of Wotton, but by Local Government Board Order, 1879, the Wotton portion has been added to Abinger: Mayes Green, 5 miles south of the church, and Wallis Wood, 6 miles south, are in this parish.
By Local Government Board Order, 1879, three parts of Ockley were added to Abinger, and by Order, 1883, Ockbam Glebe Farm was transferred from Ockham.
In 1877 the remains of a Roman villa were discovered in a field close to Abinger Hall ; these included the walls and foundations and a considerable quantity of broken tiles, pottery and tesserre, with some coins of Constantine, Faustina &c.
Public Elementary Schools.
Abinger (mixed), built in 1863 & enlarged in 1912, for 120 children; average attendance, 79; John Gardiner, master
Abinger Hammer (mixed), built in 1873 & enlarged in 1911, for 108 children; average attendance, 90; Robert Harrison, master
|Abinger Arms, Abinger, Surrey||No||Yes|
|Abinger Hatch, Abinger, Surrey||No||Yes|
|Volunteer, Abinger, Surrey||No||Yes|