Public Houses, Inns & Taverns of Addington, Surrey

Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Surrey . The Surrey listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.

ADDINGTON, in 1913, in Domesday called "Edintone," is a village and parish on the Kentish border, 3 1/2 miles south-east from East Croydon station and 2! east from South Croydon station on the London, Brighton and South Coast railway, 2t from Hayes and I! from West Wickham, both on the South-Eastern and Chatham railway, and 13 from London, in the North Eastern division of the county, Wallington hundred, Croydon petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Croydon, archdeaconry of Maidstone and diocese of Canterbury. The waterworks of Croydon borough within this parish comprise a well 205 feet deep in the chalk with tunnels 150 feet from the surface, forming underground reservoirs holding 500,000 gallons. The church of St. Mary is of brick, faced with flint, in the Norman and Early English styles, and has a tower containing a clock and 4 bells : in the church are brasses and monuments to Leigh, Hattecliff, Olliph and Trecothick families; to Archbishop Manners-Sutton, d. 21st July, 1828; Archbishop Sumner, d. 15th August, 1874; Archbishop Longley, d. 27th Oct. 1868; and an altar tomb to Archbishop Howley, d. llth Feb. 1848: the exterior of the church was repaired by Alderman Trecothick in 1773 and by Archbishop Howley, who refaced the whole exterior in 1843: memorial windows have been erected to Catherine, wife of Archbishop Tait, who died on Advent Sunday, 1878, and to the Rev. Craufurd Tait, only son of the archbishop, who died May 20, 1878 : in 1876 the church was restored and a north aisle and vestry added, at a cost of £5,000, and in 1899 the chancel was newly ceiled, the walls decorated and a. reredos erected in memory of Archbishop Benson, d. Oct. 11, 1896 : there are 280 sittings, 50 being free. In the churchyard are the gravestones of Charles, first Viscount Canterbury G.C.B. Speaker of the House of Commons from 1817 to 1834, d. lst July, 1845, and of Archbishop Tait, his wife and son, and in 1911 a memorial was erected by the present Archbishop of Canterbury to his five predecessors. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £255, with 3 acres of glebe and residence, built in 1867, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Arthur Carr M.A. and late Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford. There is a mission chapel on Addington Hills, built in 1873. The charities amount to £7 Ss. yearly. On a hill near Croydon is a cluster of 25 tumuli, one of which is 40 feet in diameter; on Thunderfield Common is a circular encampment of two acres, with a double moat. The manor was sold in 1808 by William Coles esq. to Archbishop Manners-Sutton, as a summer residence instead of Croydon; Archbishop Howley made it his chief residence and greatly improved the park ; the the original house was on Castle Hill ; the ancient mansion, built at an early period, was removed in 1780, when the present manor house, about half a mile off, was finished: in 1830 Archbishop Howley added the chapel, library, and other rooms; it has since been disposed of, and is now the property of the trustees of the late Frederick Alexander English esq. The park. comprising about 500 acres, is well wooded, and was greatly improved by Mrs. Howley during Dr. Howley's tenure of the Archbishopric. The trustees of the late F. A. English esq. who are lords of the manor, Charles Hermann Goschen esq. Maj. Sir Henry A. H. F. Lennard hart. of Wickham Court, and Frederick Edward Loyd esq. of Albyns, Romford, Essex. are the chief landowners. The soil in parts is gravel and sand, in other parts clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are cereals and roots. The area is 3,604 acres, a considerable portion of which is woodland ; rateable value £7,012; population in 1911, 614,

BADGER'S HOLE, between Addington and Croydon, was formerly extra-parochial. Ballards is l 1/2 miles south-west; Frith Wood, 1 1/2 miles south; Monks' Orchard is the estate of Frederic Edward Loyd esq. To the north-west are sand pits.

Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1844, for 120 children; average attendance, 54; Chas. Sampson, master

Premises Pic? Text?
Cricketers Inn, 36 Addington Village road, Croydon CR0 5AQ Yes Yes
And Last updated on: Monday, 19-Feb-2024 16:02:34 GMT