All public house, restaurants, bars etc closed for the forseeable future from 20th March 2020, but this is a history site.
Directory of Pubs in the UK, historical public houses, Taverns, Inns, Beer Houses and Hotels in Surrey . The Surrey listing uses information from census, Trade Directories and History to add licensees, bar staff, Lodgers and Visitors.
ALBURY, in 1913, (or Aldbury) is a parish and village situated in a vale at
the foot of a range of chalk hills, extending from near Farnham into Kent,
and on the Tillingbourne, which flows through the parish, and is 1 1/4 miles
north-east from Chilworth station on the South Eastern and Chatham railway,
5 east of Guildford and 36 from London, in the South Western division of the
county, Blackheath hundred, second division, Guildford petty sessional
division and union, Guildford and Godalming county court district, rural
deanery of Guildford, archdeaconry of Surrey and diocese of Winchester.
The village originally surrounded the old church, the village green adjoining the churchyard, but the houses have in course of time entirely disappeared, and what is now known as Albury formerly constituted the hamlet of Weston Street. The church of SS. Peter and Paul, erected in 1842, at the expense of the late Henry Drummond esq. M.P. of Albury Park. and restored, and a chancel added by his son-in taw, the late Duke of Northumberland KG. is of brick in the Romanesque style, and has a tower containing a clock and six bells: all the windows are filled with stained glass, and there are 350 sittings, half being free. The ruins of the ancient church. good specimen of Norman work, stand in the park. The register dates from the year 1559. The Living is a rectory, net yearly value £400, with 10 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Duke of Northumberland K.G., P.C. and held since 1904 by the Rev. Henry Ernest Crowley MA. of Hertford College, Oxford, who is also incumbent of Chilworth, or St. Martha-on-the-Hill. The Catholic Apostolic church is a cruciform building in the Decorated style, erected mainly at the expense of the late Henry Drummond esq, M.P. with a western tower and shallow transepts; the interior transepts are faced w1th open screen work: on the north side is a small octagonal chapter house. The old school has been converted into a hall and is used for parish purposes &c. The charities, including the old Duncombe land trust, which has now been realized and invested in Consols, amount in all to about £200 yearly. Here on a plain, at a short distance from the road to Cranleigh, are the foundations of a building conjectured to have been a Roman temple. Albury Park is the seat of the Duke of Northumberland K.G., V.D., P.C. lord of the manor and the principal landowner: the mansion, rebuilt by the late Henry Drummond esq. M.P. stands in a park of about 120 acres: the garden has a fine terrace, a quarter of a mile in length, and contains a great variety of hardy trees and shrubs: the picture gallery includes many good copies of the old Italian masters, from originals in the public collections of Italy. Alderbrook is the residence of Pandeli Ralli esq. D.L., J.P. The soil is of a light sandy nature; subsoil, gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 4,405 acres of land and 14 of water; rateable value, £7,468; the population in 1911 was 1,182 in the civil and 1,354 in the ecclesiastical parish, which comprises parts of Albury, Alfold and Chilworth.
Under the provisions of the Divided Parishes Act, 1882, parts of Cranley, Shere and Wonersh have been added to Albury. and a part of Albury transferred to Alfold.
BROOK and Farley Heath, to the south, are in this parish. Here many Roman remains have been discovered at various times, including upwards of 1,000 coins of the Caesars, and examples of ancient British money, fibulae, weapons, pottery &c.
Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1895 at the cost of the late Duke of Northumberland K.G. built for 180; average attendance, 131 ; William Dyson, master ; girls & infants, Mrs. W. Dyson, mistress
|Drummond Arms Hotel, Albury, Surrey||No||Yes|
|William the Fourth, Albury, Surrey||No||Yes|